Hardware issues? Blender Benchmark app

So, out of confusion, I wanted to see if there was some advice I could get about my computer in relation to Blender. (I’m using 3.0.1)

I bought a gaming computer last year that I thought was pretty low end because of the price. A basic thing to let me play some old games and hobby around with Blender a bit. Recently, I took a break from Blender because it was running like crap, which I attributed to the low end hardware (I’ve seen several tutorials about performance enhancements from different YouTubers like Andrew Price), but today I discovered the Benchmark App on blender.org.

I thought, “Let’s see just how BAD my machine is” expecting to have a nice laugh, but instead…I discovered that my hardware (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER [3GB RAM], AMD Ryzen 5 3500 6-Core Processor, and 8GB RAM) is placing in the top 90%.

Does this mean EVERYONE is having to work around constant crashes, a laggy viewport and a very limited number of textures? Or am I correct that my hardware is low-mid range and the Benchmarking tool is wrong? Any advice on improving my performance so I can get back to work?

Thanks in advance.

You’re correct that your hardware is not great. Your CPU especially is probably a huge performance bottleneck. However, Blender OpenData leans slightly towards the lower end of hardware, I’d imagine because free software tends to attract people who don’t have thousands to spend. Again, your GPU isn’t bad, but you gotta get that CPU upgraded ASAP

Also, just a thought- are you sure you’re interpreting this data correctly? I spend a lot of time on Blender OpenData and a 5 3500 is NOT in the “top 90%” of processors. That honor goes almost entirely to Threadrippers, which have scores orders of magnitude larger than yours.

Your CPU has a score of 92, and the highest score on Blender OpenData is 1802. This is 19.5 times larger than yours- if 1802 falls in the last 3% of the bell curve, you’re still enough standard deviations away that you’d be lucky to hit bottom 32%.

I ran it again, just to be sure, it says on the bottom, “This benchmark is in the top 90% of all benchmarks”, but then I see what you’re talking about. Where the score curves up to like 5000.

Is it possible that by “top 90%” they mean “common”?

Ah yeah it’s the old percentile confusion- by “top 90%”, they mean that “90% of benchmarks are similar to yours”. Again, Blender OpenData skews pretty heavily towards cheaper hardware. What it really means is that your benchmark is roughly average.

You can unofficially verify this by looking at the list of all CPU scores. There’s 25 pages, going from strongest to weakest, and your CPU shows up on page 12. The halfway point of 25 is 12.5, and you’re pretty far down the page, so your CPU is slightly worse than the average. That “top 90%” is more about distribution- people with a score roughly around the average (within 16% of it, if it’s a normal bell curve) make up 90% of benchmarks.

That’s a lot of words, so here’s a more concrete example. 90% of benchmarks fall close to the mean- it’s about 0-300 that make up 90% of the data here, just by eyeballing it. Long story short- you have the hardware of an average, or slightly lower than average Blender user, but in terms of hardware, you’re pretty close to the bottom of the totem pole.

I should add, there’s nothing wrong with your hardware, if it works for you, that’s what matters :slight_smile: There’s a reason the fancier stuff is rarer- it’s more expensive :sweat_smile: If I could make a recommendation, I would get a Ryzen 5 5600X. They’re only 200 dollars, and they work excellently for Blender. My machine right now has a 5600X and a GTX 1660 Super, and I can work in Blender with no lag or difficulties, but your GPU is good enough for Blender. It’s really just the CPU

That’s good to know, actually. I really appreciate it. Now I know for certain that I should be GPU rendering (at least until I upgrade the CPU).

Funny thing, I just found out that Nvidia has a “Studio” version of its drivers that I’m going to give a whirl. I thought the GameReady drivers were the best, but apparently they have a specialized driver for creators.

The Studio drivers are super cool, I haven’t done a lot of testing vs the GameReady but they seem to work super well with Blender :slight_smile:

1 Like