Hardware selection

Good Day,

Just a quick question from the new guy here :slight_smile:

We are currently looking at upgrading one of our old machines to something a bit better. This is currently on a tight-eish budget and I would just like to know what the community thinks of the following spec.

MSIĀ® Intel Z87-G45
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5 4570
CorsairĀ® ValueSelect Memory - 4GB DDR3-1333 x 4
MSIĀ® nVidia GeForce GTX650 Ti - 2GB

Now for where we are this is priced rather well, but I just want some input. I have already compared other CPUā€™s, and we arenā€™t going i7 or anything ix-xxxxk. And from what I have seen between the 650, 650 TI, 660 and 660 TI spec, I canā€™t justify paying more than the price of the 650 TI which runs better clocks and higher bit rates than the others. Also, the budget wonā€™t allow a 7xx series at this point. We are looking for some extra cash which might help out, but for now, not gonna happen.

Then also, another technical question. How would the above system perform if we could build let us say 3 or 4 of them and then run a small farm? Just out of curiosityā€¦

Hi, the GTX 550/650 are good starter cards but really slow compare to GTX 660/Ti.
Here is the latest benchmark with the most important cards.

You can save money if you buy Ivy Bridge not Haswell, the new CPU is only a few % faster.
My i5 is as fast as a GTX 550TI 2GB VDDR 5, this was my first GTX card but I sold it. To slow.

if we could build let us say 3 or 4 of them and then run a small farm? Just out of curiosityā€¦

Cycles scale nearly 100% on multiple system.

Cheers, mib.