Hardwood Floors?

I KNOW this must have been covered in here somewhere, but I’ve searched and can’t find anything.

When I try to make a hardwood floor, (without a photo, just using the wood texture?) I get a clone of a single board repeated over and over again, (see this movie here of a deck I was working on).

How can I get a hardwood floor with some sense of randomness on the wood grains?

use an image.
almost never is it good to use the built in procedurals for a real object.

procedurals are really only used for the other material channels not for the col channel! the only ones i ever use are blend (for making alpha panes) cloud (for nor water) stucci (for nor bumps) voroni (for crackles and carved things) hope that helps you figure it out!

That’s just not true. Please stop saying misleading things like this.

To answer the question, be sure you are using the Band Noise option for the Wood texture. You could also change the Noise method to Original Perlin instead of Original Blender. Varying the noise size could help too.

Martin

and in the materials MapTo tab, maybe stretch it slightly on one axis with the Size options in bottom right.

%<

You’ll want to do what theeth said. It will repeate across the multiple boards you would have for the floor. Now make several duplicates of that texture/material changing the band noise and material settings a little for each duplicate material. Now you have to go and assign the various versions of your wood material to the different pieces of wood in your scene.

Just as an example of using several different images as wood textures here are a couple renderes from my current projects. (Note: these are procedural but an example of duplicating a material and just changing the image for each material… same concept)

http://www.fwd-rev.com/art/2004-07/thumbs/FloorBoards-20040728-003-Yafray.jpg
large

http://www.fwd-rev.com/art/2004-07/thumbs/FloorBoards-20040728-001.jpg
large

More images and info from the project

The wood texture’s not expert at making actual boards, you may want to overlay it with a transparent texture to represent the sides of the board.

Hmmm… I’m just fond of procedural textures. The new ones introduced in v2.33 are nothing but great! :o Can’t stop playing with them, just for fun!

Of course, they are a must for ‘natural’ texturing like rock, grassy and mossy ground (at a distance, of coruse), clouds, bark and naturally… wood! But I must say that I always suck at turning procedurals into pine wood, for example. I succeed sometimes, I forfeit most of the time. I don’t have the grasp on it and when i success I don’t understand truly why. Pine wood is my Nemesis :wink: Lol!!!

Why would pine wood be the trump, but you rule at oak or cherry? Just curious why Pine is the pain.

That’s just not true. Please stop saying misleading things like this.

To answer the question, be sure you are using the Band Noise option for the Wood texture. You could also change the Noise method to Original Perlin instead of Original Blender. Varying the noise size could help too.

Martin[/quote]

i am sorry theeth - i meant that images usually work better in the end anyway so i don’t use procedurals - its one of those articulating things i have problems with! :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless: sorry - forgive me!

lol

I suck at all woods, somewhat I explained myself poorly :-? . I wrote, “…into pine wood, for example”.

In fact, most of my attempts was about pine wood, but I never proved good at it. My difficulty is to layer two or three grain wood types to build something realistic, using colorbands with alpha for the overlay. In fact, when it comes to wood, I rely on pictural textures instead of procedural ones, except when the subject is at a distance :wink:

If anyone has a good tutorial about wood procedural texturing, I’ll be glad! :smiley:

I think starting off with the materials provided with Blender is a good start for woods.

The matlib library - yeah?

They have a couple of woods in there and it’s sometimes easier to play with when the groundwork is already done.

links, links, links…let me find it.

http://www.geocities.com/pollythesheep/matlib_index.html

I really suck at texturing so these are good for me as a starter.

Caleb