Has anyone else used Retopoflow 2? I have a question

Hi,

Thanks for reading my post. I have a question for those that have used Retopoflow 2.0 before.

Have any of you had an issue with the geometry not staying on top of the sculpted mesh? I am currently in the process of retopologizing something and despite having what seems like enough geometry, there are still many areas where the geometry sinks into the mesh instead of being on top. Could anyone take a look at the images and let me know?!

Thanks a ton for any tips.

In the “Target Rendering” section of the Options (the thing on the right side of the 3d view) there are settings for “Above” and “Below”. Set the “Below” to 100.

Thanks for the reply Dheim. I think perhaps I didn’t explain the issue clear enough.

It is my understanding that when retopologizing something, the low-poly, retopo geometry should be sitting on top of the mesh that is being retopologized. In my case, my newly created geometry appears to be sinking into the sculpted mesh. I would expect this if my retopo was very very low poly and I did not have enough loops to maintain volume. However, I do appear to have more than enough loops to maintain mesh volume. So, I am confused why this is happening. The top image shows the geometry sinking into the mesh, not sitting on it. The bottom one shows the retopo geometry.

Thank you.

Honestly I don’t see anything out of the ordinary in your retopo mesh. The retopo mesh will always penetrate the high poly mesh because, by it’s very nature, the low poly mesh can’t maintain the same amount of curvature that the high poly can. Maybe it’s just the way Retopoflow displays it that is throwing you off but it all looks like what I would expect, and what I see in all of my retopos with RF2.

Alrighty. Thanks again Dheim. I appreciate the responses. I am very very new to 3D and retopology. My concern was that when I go to bake my maps I would have issues since it seems like the low poly was sticking through the high poly. I thought the details wouldn’t get baked properly.

Thanks so much!

Oh, no, you’re 100% fine for that. The normal map baking process will look both above and below the low poly mesh to pick up both raised and lowered parts of the high poly. There’s a limit as to how far it will check against the high poly and you can change that in whatever program you use to bake. Usually that’s one of the places that a lot of people struggle with in their normal map baking - trying to find the right balance between a low poly count for the retopo but also trying to make sure you have enough geometry there to capture some of the more extreme parts of the high poly mesh. It’s all part of the “fun” of it, I guess. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks again for the insight Dheim.

1 Like