Has anyone tried sculpting with the new Surface Pro 11th gen?

Hello! I’m thinking about buying a tablet with the main purpose of sculpting anywhere. As secondary priority use cases I’d love to draw/paint, use graphic design apps and lastly I’d would love to code games on Godot.

After reading many review I think the Ipad Pro M4 might be the best match for these use cases, except for coding in Godot because there is no IpadOS port for it. The Samsung S9 tab Ultra seems a interesting option if I’d rather have access to Godot instead of the graphic design Apps (it is also almost 50% cheaper than the ipad pro M4 13" in my country).

I would need a tablet with an actual desktop OS to do all the things I’d like to do and for that reason I started considering the Surface Pro 11th gen an option. But I have not seem anyone using it for sculpting (it has been released for less than 2 months now, so I think that’s kinda expected). I would love to know how is the user experience sculpting on the new Surface Pro makes it worth buying for this purpose, specially using Blender (I have been sculpting on Blender for some years now). If the user experience is not there yet I think I’d rather buy an Ipad and sculpt on Nomad.

Has anyone tried sculpting with the new Surface Pro 11th gen? What are your thoughts?

To be honest, I think you’re better off searching for people doing sculpting on older generations, or searching for people who draw with the Surface instead. After all, pen and display quality is (probably) more important, and drawing and sculpting are the same when it comes to relying on a good pen and display anyway.

Also, Surface Pro is just really expensive… If I were you, I’d probably take the iPad Pro M4 and extract sculpted models to another machine where I could use Godot. Especially since the Surface’s pen quality seems quite bad compared to even something like the Samsung anyway.

1 Like

Thank you. I have searched a lot in the past days. I think I’ll just wait for the next Galaxy Tab S release. At this point, after what I read on forums, I think it may be my best choice.

That and also wait for a Blender release for Android/ARM, which might take a bit longer to come out!

1 Like

Is an Android/ARM port in progress? I don’t think I’ve ever seen any news about any work on a Blender port for Android/ARM.

Now that I think about it, there isn’t a working version of Blender on Android, unless you emulate Windows on an Android device with Winlator/Mobox (but it defeats the point of buying an Android device).

People have tried and failed!
There are some progresses but no timeline.

The old Surface pens used to be pretty bad. From what I hear, they’re excellent these days.

Really, the one downside to using a Surface is that the apps are, well, Windows apps. They’re not touch friendly at all. You have a good bit of power and performance to play with, but it can be difficult to use as a tablet excusively, since most of the apps are expecting you to use a keyboard and mouse instead of a finger to navigate around in.

1 Like

This would be awesome. Maybe It would still be difficult to sculpt on a possible Android port release of Blender but being able to at least do some poly-modeling, UVs and rigging (which are not as cpu and gpu intensive) would be very nice!

From what i’ve heard, the main problem atm has to do with the inputs (touch, pen, etc)… But this is just in the beginning, and probably other problems will emerge.
So don’t expect a build in the nexts months, at least.

1 Like