Has anyone used dual-monitor setups with the BGE? I need to know how you did it.

Hi all,

I’m currently working on a project for a client, and I will need to implement dual monitor output for the final result. I did a search and found out that I can achieve this with a GXM (like the Matrox DualHead2Go) which will split a single wide output between two monitors.

1 - Is this the only way to achieve this? From what I’ve heard, you cannot run realtime graphics on two separate monitors at a time without using a trick like this, but if there is another way I’d be very interested to know.

2 - If we use a GXM, will the client be able to display half of the output on his laptop monitor and send the other half to another monitor or projector? Or will he need to send a signal out from his laptop and split it to two separate monitors from there?

I’m looking forward to hearing what those of you who have tried this before have found.

What do you mean? I can run it on two monitors, all I have to do is stretch the blender window across both.

I read several complaints here from a several months ago about not being able to do that (stretch it across two monitors) or about taking severe framerate loss when doing that. I’m guessing it must depend on the hardware you’re using.

Do you have a single graphics card with two outputs or two separate graphics cards? Also, what operating system are you using?

I dunno if this helps, but I think this program creates the same effect as with a matrox triple/dual head (1 single big screen, atleast if I understood it correct):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xinerama/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xinerama/

i havent tried it myself, cause i didn’t have the time yet :stuck_out_tongue: but it might help :slight_smile:

I have used two computers which successfully ran a dual-moniter BGE just by stretching the blender window.

Both had graphics cards with two outputs, and it worked “right out the box”.

The graphics cards were NVIDIA one one computer and ATI on the other. One is running Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 (the NVIDIA) and the other is running XP (ATI). I noticed no slow-down by using two monitors (though the graphics cards are pretty powerful). All of the screens were 22" (1680 x 1050).

Thanks for the info, guys. It looks like I should probably invest some of the deposit for the project into extra monitors, etc. to test with, then. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it to work the same as you did between a laptop and a projector screen. That would be the best case scenario.

I only use Blender (including the GE) on dual monitor set-ups by stretching the window and like everyone else. I have noticed that Windows doesn’t seem to “remember” the stretched set-up after I shut my computer down most of the time so I often have to restretch the window the first time Blender starts up. I am not sure if that is a Windows issue or a Blender issue, but it’s a minor nuisance.

Same here. I think that it is an operating system thing: a maximized window in Ubuntu, Vista, and XP will “snap” to only one screen and not both.

It works on dual monitors on xp, vista and ubuntu with no noticeable framerate loss except because of the higher resolution.

I have a single 8600 gt with dual outputs both screens at 1280x1024 for a total res of 2560x1024. I can’t maximize it across both but i can just drag the edge to make it fill the whole thing.

I have an xp app that adds in a button next to minimise and maxmize that basically swaps the monitor between screens… there’s also a button that stretches the app between screens. It’s called ultramon.

It used to be that you had to choose which screen got the hardware accelleration under windows.
I think that something changed in the design of graphics cards… I bought a Matrox triplehead2go because when using my old nvidia 6200a, when you had a BGE window that went between monitors the frame rate dropped to nearly nothing.
When I got my new 8600GT card this no longer happened. I can easily run two screen with the new card.

Do be aware there is a problem with viewports using big screen areas. I have reported it to the bug tracker. If for instance you split the screen into three horizontally, you will get rendering issues in one of the viewports. see here http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126004

Just to let you know Brecht has fixed the viewport bug in the latest SVN.

Thanks for the extra info, Larryboy. It was an earlier thread of yours where I read about using a Matrox GXM to achieve dual screen, so it helps to know what further information you’ve gathered. Good to hear about the viewport bug being fixed, too.