Have you ever used Solid rendering for a Subsurf object?

Did you ever use “Set Solid” (i.e., Solid rendering of faces) on a Subsurf object? To me, it doesn’t make sense, and I would then propose that a Model that uses “Subsurf” should

a) always have all faces automatically smooth
b) always have its normals recalculated outside after every transform to avoid the ‘black faces’ effect.

Then I’ll never be able to build my '70’s disco mirrorball!

%<

Fligh: :slight_smile: A 70s disco mirrorball is an UVsphere, you don’t need subsurf for that :slight_smile:

the default setting for [new geometry in] meshes should be settable to smooth or solid

I don’t think subsurf should always be smooth [I’ve set it to solid before, but not for final things]

You could do it if you want, but mostly you want smooth

That is a good question intrr. I have personally never used a subsurf mesh without SET SMOOTH on.

I agree that it should automatically default to SET SMOOTH when you press the Sub-D button. Typical meshes that utilize Sub-D are more organic and would thus require a smooth mesh.

Now that I really think about it, I hav enever not used a SET SMOOTH mesh. Even with a standard cube.

BgDM

But what about Autosmooth.

If you do want a ‘crease’ in it, then not being able to select that would be a problem.

Having setsmooth as a default though would be good.

I would then propose that a Model that uses “Subsurf” should

a) always have all faces automatically smooth
b) always have its normals recalculated outside after every transform to avoid the ‘black faces’ effect.

Totally agreed. That’s got to be one of the most annoying things about subsurf modelling in blender right now.

broken: One then just has to be careful, maybe in some occasions people still don’t want this automatic Set Smooth/CTRL-N business. So it should be a toggle. I’ll give it a try in iblender, look how it feels, and then come back :slight_smile:

good idea. it always bothers me klicking on set-smooth and recalc normals, i admit it.

btw, intrr: did you read the post on blender.org abt. instinctive blender on OSX? i tried using anders’ build to setup network rendering, but it didn’t work. thought you might help?

marin

Tsk, you and your silly preferences :wink:

I’d say that for the 0.001% of the time where someone does want a solid shaded subsurf and an ugly black line on their model, it’s not too difficult to select those faces and press ‘set solid’, and manually flip the normals how they want (as we now do for the other 99.999% of the time, but in the opposite).

Of course this is assuming that such a feature wouldn’t overwrite the entire mesh, it should just make newly created geometry smooth and with correctly facing normals, leaving any other smooth or weird normalled bits on other parts of the mesh as they were.

Meh, details, details…

Hm? I don’t know about any OSX build, and anything you don’t download from blender.instinctive.de is not official.

Can you link me the relevant post?

About network rendering, yes, it hasn’t been tested on OSX yet, but should work. Did you follow the docs? And what exactly does not work? I need a more detailed description…

Wow. I must have a special version of Blender or something, because for me it’s just (literally) 1-2-3. I mean it takes… opens Blender… 3 seconds at the most. I guess it may be a nice feature, but you should definately be ably to flip back. I, personally, like to model in solid mode, not smooth. It just makes sure that ALL the normals are the way I want them.

Maybe, though, this would be a nice option, possible in the next version?

-Laurifer