"Have You Seen My Scabbard?" - The Missing Scabbard in Video Games

Have you guys seen any scabbards in RPGs / Action RPGs etc. recently?
Games like Assassin’s Creed or obviously For Honor (pointing at you Orochi), Mount & Blade, Chivalry, seem to have no representation of a scabbard model which usually holds a sharp weapon like a sword or a dagger.

Throughout the history of the Legend of Zelda series Link used to have a scabbard for his master sword which he was wearing on his back and the only game that does that as well seems to be The Witcher.

Now, I’m not talking about leather straps which hold the weapon in place, I’m talking about full wooden / leather scabbards which were almost a must have for any combatant using sharp weapons in the past, for obvious reasons. (Carrying it safely, not hurting yourself or others, show that you’re not ready to fight …)

So recently I created a character model & a sword and scabbard to see if the problem could lie in the way it’s animated. And I discovered why it could be a problem for modern developers mainly because it can be time consuming to portray a sword drawn out of a scabbard accurately and without clipping.
It MAY not be a big problem to draw an european sword out of it’s scabbard, as we can see in the Witcher or Zelda, since the straight blade just have to go right into a straight line to get drawn out or put back into the scabbard. The animation, it itself, can be linear and static and it would still look good.

But it is a real problem with asian blades, or blades that are curved and therefore have a curved scabbard, as they are not drawn in a straight line, but rather in a curved arch. That ultimately forces an simultaneous, dynamic interaction between the scabbard, the left hand, and the blade, the right hand, to work properly.
One of the famous representations in a japenese sword drawing style that, I will use for my question, can be seen in the game League of Legends (LoL). I’m talking about Yasuo.

Now, LoL is an Moba Real Time Strategy game and I’m aware that the game is fast paced and that the main focus is on the movement, not on the detail. But it has always bothered me, that Riot - even though they done a great job in animating the character - did not even bother to take care of that problem. They just accepted it. I’m talking about the clipping issue, and why it’s almost impossible to draw a curved object out of a curved shell, without clipping.

Since this is my first post here, I would also like to introduce myself to the community.

I’m a 22 year old hobby artist from germany and a somewhat intermediate Blender user. Around 2 years ago I began to sketch, paint, animate and model assets by myself and for my own game project that I had in mind for a long time. When it comes to animation, I usually draw sketches, frame by frame, to get an idea of what kind of movement I want to display for the 3d model and use it as a reference.
One hobby that I really enjoy is martial arts and I fell in love with the beautiful, geometrical motions in Iaido and Aikido which all made sense and never work against the human body. There I met my inner critique, face to face - and learned more about my perfectionist, complicated mindset. So I am aware that most people wouldn’t care less about a small detail like a scabbard, but as I studied the eastern martial arts through practice and theory, I began to see more and more errors in certain movements one would not normally notice when they are watching an animated sequence - and I certainly do not want to make those same mistakes, as I have the tools to do it differently. I’m not talking about the principles of animation, but rather about the logic of the movement itself.

So to get to the point why a curved sword, like a katana, should not be drawn like an european sword and therefore needs also the movement of the left hand (Saya Biki), I want to show you an explanation video. Since new users can only post 2 links, I can not show you an example.

Explanation Saya Biki

When I reconstruct the movement, I always end up having the sword clip through the scabbard as soon as it leaves the opening. When I add the rotation of the blade and the saya/scabbard, it becomes a total mess. Not even does the blade clip through the scabbard, it also makes it look like the blade does not just break the scabbard but also let’s the wearer look like he cuts his own wrist.
For me, it’s nearly impossible to move the blade out of the scabbard, without having to edit every frame one-by-one. Even then, the process is not just time consuming and exhausting, it seems like it is technically not possible to finish the animation without clipping.

So I came up with 2 ideas to solve the issue, yet it still persists.
One: I tried to change the size of the two objects (sword / scabbard) - the issue here is, that the scabbard ends up being too large and the sword too small to the point where it just looks ridiculous. The clipping is minimized to the blade’s tip. That’s good, but the aesthetic is lost as I’m not aiming for a cartoonish style.
Two: Changing the size of the blade as it is drawn. This seems to work out a bit, but it ends up clipping on either side of the scabbard anyway.

The next thing I’m going to try is to add more bones to the blade, so that I can move it inside the scabbard, to adjust it as good as possible and then returning the values back to origin.
Yet my questions remain:

How would you animate a curved sword being pulled out of a curved scabbard? How do you reduce clipping between two objects? How would you express a dynamic motion between two objects while reducing clipping to a minimum? When is clipping acceptable?

Excuse me for the long post, thank you for your time. I hope we can learn from each other in the future. Until then, I wish you a good future.

Move the bone holding the sword along a curved path (Bezier for example). Or rotate it about the centre of curvature of the scabbard by parenting it to another bone, or adding a Child Of to another bone so you can switch this off using the Influence value.

When the camera can’t see it.

Cheers, Clock. :beers:

EDIT:

I forgot, Welcome to BA!

1 Like

Oh, that’s a good idea. Thank you!
I never used Bezier / Curves before as I didn’t quiet understand the way they work. I think I tried to use them for a walking cycle once but never got deeper into it.

Is there a way to control the influence value of an IK / Child Of, etc. in the middle of an animation? As soon as I change the influence value of a constraint it stays for the entire action. I don’t want to cut the animation into 2 seperate actions.

Edit; I think I’m doing something wrong, as the keyframe ignores the changed influence value.

So if you want to keyframe the influence from 1 to 0, do this:

Make sure influence is 1, RMB click box, “Insert Keyframe”.

Next frame, type 0 - Return, RMB click box, “Insert Keyframe”.

Before these frames, influence is 1 after influence is 0.

As first I thought - “drawing a sword is at most 4 frames long - at that length you may as well just position each frame by hand.” - then I thought "Hold on… putting the sword back in the scabbard is much slower than that.

2 Likes

Well, maybe a bit longer… Anyway I thought of this method and just threw together a quick blend file to show what I meant:

It’s still a bit “Work in Progress”, but may give some ideas, blend file: sword-1.blend (526.7 KB)

Just press Play to see my random senile musings…

This is a good method… putting a bone in the center of the ark of the sword. Makes sense.

Makes me realise that curved swords have to be curved based on a segment of a circle - I’d never really thought about that before.

2 Likes

This will probably make everything more complex… but … the scabbard probably doesn’t stay on place as the sword is drawn.

Run my animation, it doesn’t… :smile:

EDIT:

There is a bone for the scabbard, you could always rotate that about other axes, the sword will still follow the path of the scabbard as I have set it up. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sorry - I’m flicking through Blender Artists while rendering, so I don’t really want to load up another Blender encase it crashes. :wink:

1 Like

Wise precaution… :beers:

1 Like

Mk2 version, now I have added a fight :crossed_swords: bit with the sword when it is away from the scabbard:

New Blend file: sword-1.blend (532.3 KB) Some of you will have noticed the file name is the same, but the file has changed. :rofl:

1 Like

Oh wow, it really works like a charm. It isn’t perfect, could use some more tweaking, but it does work great with the katana.
It’s much easier than my earlier methods and I have more control.

sword-1 (1).blend (1.0 MB)

Here’s the edited file, if anyone wants to play around with it, too.

EDIT:
The file is also changed.

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

I had a different idea whilst watching Rick & Morty last night:

This new bone is at the pivot point of scabbard onto carrying Ninja and allows the sword to be drawn across the body rather than vertically. The scabbard bone at the top is parented to it so all the movements of the sword stay in line if you rotate this bone as I did above.

I have downloaded your file and am about to study it!

Very well done Sir! The Katana movement is very convincing, shows what studying your subject can do for your animations.

1 Like

Thank you very much. The animation as it is, couldn’t have been made without your preliminary work. :blush: I’m really happy that you like it!

The screenshot & the new bone however raises another question:
What do you mean by the “pivot point”? Do you mean the middle of the scabbard? Or the center of the imaginary circle that the scabbard naturally follows by shape?

:beers: Off-topic: Finished my finals today, I will get the results in a month! I’m so happy it’s over. :smile:

1 Like

I mean the point at which it attaches to his belt for example, I realise this is mainly for European swords hung from a waist belt, I think Japanese ones are not fixed to a belt, more pushed through one and the scabbard can be taken out before the sword is drawn? I am no expert here in swordsmanship, I prefer a Blunderbuss!

EDIT:

Well done on completing your finals - happened to me (degree) over 41 years ago…

Yes I get what you mean. Well it is a better adaptation, but nothing that is really necessary to keep track of, as it seems to work fine just as it does right now. Perhaps I’ll get to it on another time, but I got around 8 Animations for my main figure and they are all connected to this method.

I also put IK to the sword’s grip & the scabbard, so that the hands move with the motion of the blade / scabbard.
This is very useful for the draw & sheath sequences.

The only thing I have to do over and over again is to move the fingers to wrap them around the grip / scabbard, which really bothers me.

To answer your question about the japanese sword / katana:
The katana rests in the saya (scabbard), the saya has a rope which is called sageo. So to wear the katana, you need a belt, traditionally a cloth that almost looks like a thin, long scarf. It is around 3 to 5 metres long (depends on your body size and your waist size) and you wrap it around your waistline for about 3 times. The knot is not really complicated, but there is a science even for that, so I wont get deep into that.
You rest the saya between the last two layers of your obi. The tip of the saya should face downward so that the curve is pointing towards the ground, not the sky. (So that when you draw the sword, you aim for the torso, not the legs. Yes even the way you wear a katana shows much about your first moves in a potential attack.)
To draw the katana, you mainly use your left hand which you use to pull back your saya behind your hip. The angle you turn at this moment is the angle the sword will be drawn out. You usually aim for a 45°, so that you slash the opponents shoulder joint, leaving him unable to move his arm by cutting his tendon in halfs. If you cut deep enough you do inflict a lethal wound as there’s an artery right in your armpit. But even if you don’t hit the shoulder, you end up cutting over his ribs and perhaps hit his right hand as he’s about to draw his own katana which could end the fight very quickly. (First strike usually wins.)

I hope I could answer your question as precisely as possible.

By the way, the japanese propably prefered Blunderbusses, too - because you know, … why face a trained warrior when you can shot him in the face from afar? Even if you miss, you got a lot of time to cya out.

Fun fact: In the world war, japanese officers were given their ancestor’s samurai katanas to wear and fight with in close combat. Many of them didn’t know how to draw their sword correctly, so they ended up cutting their own fingers, hands and even arms. Back to the Dojo, I guess. Haha.

1 Like

Had a chance to have a look…

Very nice, but I think the scabard would pivort at the point it is attached to the belt, rather than the centre of the arc. I’ve uploaded another blend showing what I mean…
sword-1.blend (532.3 KB)

1 Like

Worryingly this is exactly what I did after a night’s sleep (see post 14)! Thank you for this. OP seems happy with the technique and has achieved a good animation with his katana.