"Have You Seen My Scabbard?" - The Missing Scabbard in Video Games

You certainly did that, good luck with the animations, I would use a Pose Library for the fingers, one pose open, one pose closed around the sword handle, then you can easily switch between the two. To wrap fingers, I often select all the finger bones and then rotate so the rotation is cumulative for the bones down the fingers, that way they curl in one go, rather than having to rotate each bone separately.

Cheers, Clock. :champagne:

Even in live-action movies you will usually see that the bearer of the weapon does not have a scabbard – even though earlier in the film you might have seen him dramatically pull a weapon out of one. (e.g. Aragorn and Elrond in Lord of the Rings: “they [the dead …] will answer to the King of Gondor!”)

I think that’s done simply because it’s easier and safer for the actors, and because, in a sword-fight, you want to see sword action, not a scabbard flailing about. (Perhaps the actor discarded the scabbard off-camera?)

Likewise, I can understand why a game developer might choose to omit the prop: the actor is never going to put his weapon away. Even if the actor “pulls his sword” at the start of the sequence, the supposed scabbard can simply be out-of-view blocked by his body. The audience may never notice that he’s not actually wearing anything to have taken the sword out of, once the swordfighting begins in earnest. Also, most of the framing is either going to be a from-the-waist-up shot or a full-body view from a low camera angle. The cuts are going to show strikes and parries, not recovery of the weapon. A scabbard would just add visual junk to the scene.

“Technically accurate?” Well, no. “Dramatic?” Yes.

Another reason that scabards may not be there is that the prop designers, both for games and films, don’t realise that a curved sword has to be curved along a section of a circle to be able to slide into a scabbard.

Actually, I realise that a sword COULD have corkscrew curvature to it and still be scabardable, but this is impractical on so many levels.