Having some trouble with polycount reduction (new user)

Heya, I was looking to add some additional skills to my portfolio of services I can offer clients. So I downloaded Blender a couple days ago and this is my first experience with a 3d interface so I’ve only just worked out what’s going on really, anyway my first attempt ended with a horribly misshapen hot air balloon (it ended up looking like a toy that should be enjoyed behind closed doors).

Anyway for my second model I tried to model a habitat vehicle (those familiar with the books by Philip Reeve (Mortal Engines) should know what I’m on about) and it’s going well but I shortly reached a point where it was very frustrating trying to see what was happening with all the knife cuts and random un-needed lines so I set about dissolving vertices where I could and merging faces together. I’ve come to a bit of a problem though with windows, you see when I select an area where I want a face (or group of adjacent faces that need merging) that has a hole in it and try to fill it the hole also gets filled or nothing happens which bugs me. I was wondering if there was a work around so I could continue optimizing the model, I imagine dissolving the edges would work but can’t find a way to do this.

http://i.imgur.com/G5UXY.png

Also, here’s a rendered interior shot for the purposes of showing off, letting you see how far along I am and possibly enabling you give better advice for how to resolve my issue:

Thank you for reading and I hope my stay here is enjoyable :ye:eyebrowlift:

The blender mesh structure does not allow holes in faces so there may be occasions where what you are trying to do goes against this.

Ah, alright then, just figured I should simplify the model as much as possible as I was intending to work with it for a while, do you know whether the capability to do so is planned in a future release of Blender?

Fair enough, this was the solution I came up with and whilst there’s a higher polygon count it should be more manageable in the future and looks elegant enough, I appreciate the quick reply and helpful feedback.

This was the solution I came up with and whilst there’s a higher polygon count it should be more manageable in the future and looks elegant enough, I appreciate the quick reply and helpful feedback.

http://i.imgur.com/CGerK.png

Maybe if you are new you should leave the knife tool for now and become familar with the more common operations. e.g. extrude etc. You could quite easily create the block shape of this model and add in edge loops (you wouldn’t need to many). Then you will have some nice rectangles. You could select them and press E then S. Then delete the faces. This would give you the block shape with the windows etc. It would be easier to manage and made of quads, There are plenty of ways to make this but essentially you just need to to model cleanly.

You will also benefit from visiting blender.org and look at the community section for websites that provide modelling tutorials. A good planned workflow results in a nice clean mesh with less technical problems which is easier to work with, requires less (if any) correction and is easier to modify which all helps with speedy modelling. You develop the knowledge you need by following tuts to begin with.