Having trouble with mesh...please see pic

I started on the Arwing from Star Fox and quickly ran into trouble…

I used this blueprint.

I started with a plane, deleted everything in edit mode, and started tracing the fusulage.

Then I extruded and got this:

Now, as you can see, I made edges and then faces from the edges, then extruded.

I’m trying to join those two vertices to create a point, as in below:

However I keep getting weird results when I used the Merge command; none of them work.

Is there a better command or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks a lot;

~LC

Merge to center ought to bring the vertices you’ve highlighted into a single vertex, making a nice point, just where you want it. OK: it’s not doing that, but you’re getting “weird results” instead.

It would be helpful to have a screen shot of the unwanted results, since that would eliminate guess work. It I had to guess, though, I’d guess you accidentally extruded twice (you may have a “key bounce” on your keyboard) and have two faces instead of one.

Try pressing ctrl Z to get into wire frame, select “one” vertex, and merge it. If you get a “removed n vertices” message (something other than 0) then that’s the problem. Eliminate doubles should solve that problem, but you may need to increase the eliminate threshold a bit to get them all.

As far as whether you’re going about it the right way, well, there are many ways to do almost anything in Blender. Personally, I’d start with a plane, then merge two of the vertices to get a triangle, then extrude the edge along the fuselage, scaling in or out as I went. Others would stretch a cube into a rectangle the proper length, make additional edges with loop cut (Ctrl+Rkey) and then push verts around to match the background image.

Make sure you don’t have mirror along the x axis turned on and that you don’t have any doubles " select all and then hit w then remove doubles"

In this case, I think you’d be better off reducing to a face, not a single vertex. No manufactured surface would ever come to such a sharp point and if you subsurf, the resulting surface will be way off and you’ll have to drag that vertex a long way out for a satisfactory result.

That doesn’t help with your question but hopefully the above posts did.

Interesting idea…thanks!

Maybe I’ll restart altogether and try it that way.

Did you look at the reference pic?

It’s rather sharp IMO…:smiley:

OH, and what do you mean reducing to a face?:confused: What key is that?

As requested, some screenshots of the results of doing a “Merge to center”:

Ok, Orinoco, I tried your method and this is what I have so far:

It’s looking a LOT better than what I had before, so I think I’ll stick with this approach for now.

Thanks a lot!

The problems I have are mainly things like this; I guess it’s simply not knowing the tools.

The problems I have are mainly things like this; I guess it’s simply not knowing the tools.

It’s not that you didn’t know the tool, the problem was that you had doubles. It can be seen from your first image, when the two vertices are selected, the edge isn’t completely yellow, and the results from your unsuccesfull merging confirm that…
But i guess it doesn’t matter now since you’ve found a way.

As for AndyD’s advice about reducing the tip to a face i suggest you take it.
It means that you should make the tip of the “plane” a face instead of a single vertex. It will just look better believe me.

Stefan.

This is what AndyD is talking about:

In the bottom mesh, I selected the four end vertices (was a rectangle) and merged them to a single vertex. In the top mesh, I selected the four end vertices and scaled them down into a very small face. Then I applied set smooth and subsurf to both meshes. As you can see, the top shape comes to a nice point, while the bottom shape is blunt and very far from the single vertex in the mesh.

Well, I want it to come out more angular than that, so maybe that would be the wrong technique…

'Cause the grey is the actual model right?

Whatever. Have you tried it?

Well no, but I guess I will :smiley:

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not some Holy Grail suggestion. As I said, it didn’t really answer your question but it was just something to consider.

For a low poly, non-subsurfed model, having a single vertex point is probably a good idea. But for a high quality model, I feel a tiny face would give better results as a single vertex is infinitely small no matter how close you get to it and no point on any manufactured item is truly likely to be quite that sharp.

If you’re likely to use subsurf (and a high quality model probably would use it even for an “angular” finish) then the single-vertex point will deliver the result Orinoco demonstrated.