Having trouble with the Boolean Modifier behaviour

I got really confused while trying to follow along the anvil tutorial from blenderguru.

When using the boolean modifier set to difference, the result sometimes was unexpected: it only substraced the faces of the cylinder to the anvil base, leaving the anvil base looking untouched (left)

I expected the whole cylinder volume to be substracted to the anvil base, which sometimes work (right)

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

(JA12) #2

You’re using a development version of Blender with changed boolean modifier.

You also haven’t shared an example file for others to test on their system, go through the objects and setup, and determine if there’s a problem in what you did or if it’s a Blender problem. Both an example .blend and testing on multiple systems are listed in bug reporting instructions.

Indeed, just tested with the 2.79 stable version and it works correctly, so I am assuming it is bug related to blender.

Unfortunately I am not able to since I am a new user: “Sorry, new users can not upload attachments.”

I will submit a bug report on the blender developer platform then.

(burnin) #4

I don’t believe it’s a bug.
I assume since Carve Solver has been taken out (deprecated), it seems BMesh haven’t been upgraded.

You can upload your scene on pasteall.org/blend then post link here.

Thanks for the tip. Here is the blend file: http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=49705

(JA12) #6

There’s double geometry in the anvil base. Edit mode, select all, W -> remove doubles.

(burnin) #7

@JA12 Yup, that’s it.

@vokazef If that’s all, mark thread as solved.