HAWK fighters on patrol

Hey thanks man.

I’m aware of the AA problems and I thought about rerendering it and try to get rid of it.

Very nice render. I find the fighter design to be a bit unimaginative. That is just taste though. THe render itself is very nice.
2d

And the Prometheus looks like a flying bunker, which is exactly what it is. There are absolutely no embellishments to the ships, they’re pretty practical. I kinda like them for that.

Wow. I find it hard to complain about this one:eek:. Texturing and lighting are amazing, and I really like the background nebula. Only thing is, maybe it would look better with an odd number (3) of subjects (ships). But that’s just my opinion. 4 stars:yes:

The star background and nebula is fantastic. I really like the blue plasma-like rocket trail and the overall shape of the ship. The ship’s textures aren’t quite top-notch, but they’re close.

The lighting bugs me, though – the light on the side of the ship is about as exciting as that on the walls in the original DOOM. I know that in space, there is really only one light source – the nearest star – but I’d really like to see the detail on the side of the ship better defined by shading.

Nice job pulling off a clean ship design; most of the time the solution to something bland is adding all kinds of greebles everywhere.

I have to disagree with most about the lighting, and back up what meestaplu said. The lighting is rather boring on the near side of the ship, and doesn’t show off the texture of the hull. The actual image textures are amazing though, great job on those! Maybe a bit low res, but they match the ship well.

My only other comment is on stars; why are some blurred and some sharp?

Anyway, a nice image overall.

-Obiwan

The blured stuff isn’t supposed to be stars but space dust. I blured it to give a better sense of speed.

Very nice.

1 Like

Very nice modeling, and I especially like the texture work. In fact, if you are up for making a tutorial, I’ve been trying to make my own textures using the gimp, but haven’t achieved anything close to what you have. In particular, the scratches, worn paint, and dirt/grime. Again, very good job - I’m glad to see renders that actually deserve it getting some attention.

Oh - second question… did you use the subsurf modifier on this craft? There aren’t nearly enough inorganic modelling tutorials for blender. Sometimes I wonder if I’m using the right technique at all.

There’s already an excellent tutorial out there in the internet: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=373024. It’s written for Photoshop but the tools etc are almost the same in GIMP. I used this tutorial but my textures are nowhere near the ones in that tutorial.

I really used the subsurf modifier on this one. I had it on level 2. If you use the subsurf modifier for inorganic modelling you need to be careful not to lose the edges etc. That means you need to add additional edge loops to create sharp edges or increase the median crease.

seems like the materials are everything these days, but in this case even the moddeling is stunning. maybe blind those windows a bit more, that’s all of crits though, and yea, I noticed some minor AA problems aswell.

Aside of all that depressing shit, Great piece of art man! 4.5

Jacco;

awesome, you finally finished it…did the file i sent you help?
5 stars :slight_smile: would be good as a background wallpaper.

You’ve certainly earned your stars!

How did you get the space to look like that. and how did u get the strs to streak. btw srry 4 bd spelin i usin my wii

Very nice. Reminds me of a futuristic Popular Science cover.

Great work ! :cool:

Since this is going into the gallery…might I suggest a background image from http://heritage.stsci.edu/gallery/galindex.html I’ve used these images in other projects. I think it would make this a spectacular scene…showing off your work and Blender.

Please post the image if you choose to add the background.

@grimey: You revived quite an old thread here.
I finished this project some months ago and I won’t change anything on the picture now. I like the picture the way it is and I absolutely don’t think that a hubble image would be a great background here.
Anyway…thanks for making the suggestion

Now THAT is friggin hawt. :smiley: Good job, one of the best models Ive seen.