Hazard: a texturing experiment

Okay, so it’s not exactly anything new or spellbinding, but it’s the first time I’ve ever really gotten into textures deeply, and moreover, it’s the first time I’ve really started to understand the material as a sequence of textures and how to work them. Please try to imagine the full product, the MPEG compression did a number on the detail. If you like, I may produce a better still render and post it.

Video:
http://www.kitsuneinfo.furtopia.org/files/radspin2.avi

Things I like:
-Good splotchiness of rust
-Rusted patches obscure specularity
-Uneven surface of rusted patches
-Decent color variation within the rust

Things I don’t like:
-Green halo is too washed-out in color, not green enough
-Soot doesn’t look quite right

Comments and critques, anyone? I’m really trying to learn more about what I’m doing with textures and materials, so feel free to say something.

Sorry, I can’t find the MP42 codec for Quicktime, so I seem to be out of luck.

My advice: get something besides quicktime. I don’t know what their problem is, but it often can’t read a simple MPEG-encoded AVI file, even when the codecs are on your machine. It boasts about how it’s built on MPEG-4 on their website, but it can’t even open it. >_< Go with IRFanview or Windows Media Player.

na real player! that is the best!

anyway i would have like to see a better nor map between the yellow and rust :frowning: that would have made it more believable. Plus if you would have added some more special effects to it that would have been cool! :wink:

anyway i would have like to see a better nor map between the yellow and rust :frowning: that would have made it more believable. Plus if you would have added some more special effects to it that would have been cool! ;)[/quote]

SPEAK NOT THAT BLASPHEMY IN MY PRESENCE!!!

…sorry, I didn’t mean to go so over the top. Don’t get Realplayer, it’ll load all kinds of spyware on your machine, bog it down, doesn’t work half the time, and crashes frequently when it does. It contacts the net subversively when you’re not watching and takes over all the file-associations if you’re not really careful. It’s really as bad as people claim MS products are.

But at any rate, what did you mean about the nor map? I’m afraid I’m too new at this to know what it really does. I tried to add a displacement mapping to make the rust bumpier, with a voroni texture on it to make it look circularly flaky like rust often is, but I don’t know how well it came out. Is there something else I can do to make that look better?

anyway i would have like to see a better nor map between the yellow and rust :frowning: that would have made it more believable. Plus if you would have added some more special effects to it that would have been cool! ;)[/quote]

SPEAK NOT THAT BLASPHEMY IN MY PRESENCE!!!

…sorry, I didn’t mean to go so over the top. Don’t get Realplayer, it’ll load all kinds of spyware on your machine, bog it down, doesn’t work half the time, and crashes frequently when it does. It contacts the net subversively when you’re not watching and takes over all the file-associations if you’re not really careful. It’s really as bad as people claim MS products are.

But at any rate, what did you mean about the nor map? I’m afraid I’m too new at this to know what it really does. I tried to add a displacement mapping to make the rust bumpier, with a voroni texture on it to make it look circularly flaky like rust often is, but I don’t know how well it came out. Is there something else I can do to make that look better?[/quote]

first off i hate tripple quoting but…

you might be mistaken about Real Player - it is safer than WMP and it only access the internet when you use it plus it won’t put files anywhere other than in its folders and the allegid spyware!? - i have never had a problem then again i have the free spybot search and destroy that everyone in there right mind should have already installed!

about the nor maps - i too just recently discovered this powerful feature! It isn’t hard to master so let me see if i can explain it:

in material buttons there are texture channels - col, nor, ref, spec, hard, trans… to name a few. Each of these tabs when pressed access the black and white scale (or color scale transfered to black and white) to calculate the values on how to distort the mesh or texture. When you press nor in a channel it will look for the black spots and cause the mesh to bump out (hence teh knick name bumpmap) and the white to bump in and everyvalue in between to range between these values evenly. (note taht pressing nor till it becomes yellow inverts the bumps so that black bumps in and white bumps out) Then in the bottom of the map to buttons there is a slider with nor marked on it. This slider determines teh max bump for the black and white displacements.

now practice:

first i assume that you know how to create a texture channel. now go to material buttons and then go to textures in the materials menus then click on the second tab under the name of your rusty and yellow texture and then click add new. Then go to map to and click nor and remove col then set the nor to something like .800 and then go to textures and load the image of the texture you wish to use to create the bump contours with.

(correct me if i have misquoted the blender manual please! :wink: )

i hope this all helps! a good software to use for post production of avi movies is the virtual dub software (google it) and use the indio 5.1 codec which will greatly decrease your file size and is playable on practically all media players! Keep up the good work! :wink:

For larger projects, I do use virtualdub for post-processing and encoding. I’ll look into that codec, though I’ve never heard of it before.

But you’ve got to be kidding about realplayer, right? It crashes everytime it loads, and I’ve tried it on several machines, too. It asks for a buttload of personally identifiable information. You don’t seriously believe that that stuff goes off into never-never land and isn’t collected, do you? It tried to connect on the sly more times than WMP ever did, in my experience, refused to shut down the ‘at all times’ component, tried to overtake my autoplay settings for other programs (it’s not alone in that, I also have an intense dislike for the way Quicktime does that too…), it nags incessantly for you to pay for services that you don’t need or want… Need I go on? Of course spybot wouldn’t take it out, because it’s assumed that it wouldn’t be there if you didn’t want it in the first place. Nevertheless, that has been the most troublesome program it’s ever been my misfortune to install. I speak here from personal experience rather than generalization.

Anyway, I’ll try the nor mapping. Though now I must say I’m confused, because I thought that was what the Disp mapping was supposed to do: displace the surface.

no displacement maps (which i haven’t quite figured out) use the disp channel and the slider at the bottom to determine in conjunction with nor bar how to distort the mesh. The nor or bump channel does exactly as it implies - bumps the surface. It can do such a good job at it that you can create waves using multiple cloud textures mapped to different nor channels and you don’t even need a wave effect! It is very versitile and can allow your bricks to bump out where there isn’t morter and it brings a whole new dimension to planes.

I once took a plane sprite and made a cube out of it using bump! (i haven’t been able to recreate the effect since but it did work!

one thing that i should mention that may clear it up is that bump uses lightig to create the illusion that the surface is bumped by using shadows whereas displacement is actually displacing the surface and thus is responsible for the jagged lines you usually get. I stay away from displacement mapping as i havent figured it out yet but some say it is very usefull!

not to bring this up again but i have never had a single problem with real player! especially the latest version. and it is extremely sleek - it doesn't connect unless you click play and the item to be played is on the internet. It will search for updates automatically but it wont' search for plugins unless you say so. Plus this talk of personal info - i have never come across this although i dont' remember registering it and i don't remember the actual install. Perhaps you should give it another go and see what i am talking about!  ;)

Perhaps I will try it again later, though I’ve been burned by it enough times that I think it will be a while before I do. I know I’m not the only one that’s seen this, because almost everyone I’ve talked to IRL has agreed that it’s been the most troublesome program they’ve ever worked with.

At any rate, thanks for the info on bump vs. displacement. I’ll try changing that and see what difference it makes.

great!

Augh, RealPlayer spews shit all over your machine. You’ll be digging the splatters of that program out of your hard-drive for years after you realize that it isn’t a good program. They also spam the hell out of your e-mail addy. They’re awful. I hate them. If I never have to use RealPlayer again it will be too soon.

I got MPlayer OS X. It is an open source program that plays damn near everything. Available for Mac and Linux.

Anyhow, I like it. The textures seem to need to be higher res. Looks good, though.

The Indeo 5.1 CODEC is well supported because it is old. It passed its prime 2-3 years ago. Mostly overtaken by DivX. The current leader for quality appears to be Xvid (DivX spelled backwards).
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/codecs-203-1.htm

You will also get better compression ratios with the MPEG-4 CODECs.

…and yes, I agree about RealPlayer. It tries to take ove all of the media files and keeps installing the auto alerts/updates/news flashes, as well as trying to run in the background. The options are difficult to find to turn everything off.

MPEG-4 Codec V2 is what I used to encode that particular AVI. That maybe why it isn’t quite as high-res on the texture. But I think I’ll make a few stills of it to get a better picture (no pun intended) of what it looks like, after I play around with the disp/nor map.

Oh, and I’m glad to see that someone else agrees with me over Realplayer. For a minute there I thought I was losing my mind or something. Oh, and IRFanviewer is a very good program for viewing this stuff too. It’s not open-source, I don’t think, but darned if it can’t read every file type known to man, and then some. You should try it. I’ve not yet recommended it to someone who was disappointed.

EGADS!!!

No, I don’t guess I will be posting stills, either. It seems that the file has disappeared, and with it all the work I did from the previous version on the material and the glow effect. >_<

Maybe I’ll just move on to something else instead.

ah i wanted to see it! :frowning: ::cries and rolls over::

oh well atleast you go the basic idea - oh btw are you guys talking about the purchased version or the free version of real player? cause i have the free one that doesn’t do any of that it never asks for anything other than new updates (which their hasn’t been in a long time) and for those plugins!

also a guy recommended me the virtual dub but how do i find the latest file format plugins?! i want to rip to other better codecs but can’t find the downloads or updates to do that! :frowning:

anyway - didn’t mean to go off topic… :wink: