HDRI YafRay Batteries! (Yes, more batteries, now complete.)

Well, this was briefly in the WIP forum, but I’m satasfied, and it was really more of a test of my ability to make a simple texture in photoshop and appropriately use the YafRay HDRI settings, and I’m pleased. Inspired by Mifune’s thread, this looked like fun, and was. I created every aspect of it, using Photoshop and Blender 2.34. The textures are obviously image based, other than those for the poles, which are procedural. I used Photosphere for the HDRI editing.

http://img37.exs.cx/img37/2176/batterytest4_forweb1.jpg

If the hotlink isn’t working:

Thank folks, and thanks Mifune.

Good job in making the texture.

too shiny make the reflection value lower - don’t be afraid to make 0.0somtihng.

the metal looks weird. its white instead of gray. and it is a little bit too shiny. but the model looks great.

quite a pretty good job

How do you use HDRI in Yafray? I’ve been wondering that but haven’t looked into it. If you’d be so kind as to give a quick explanation / link I’d really appreciate it.

You asign the HDRI pick as the World and yafray does it automaticaly

Great work! Gotta love that HDRI :wink:

I agree with @ner about the shininess levels.

Mantis

Just so you know =)
The + symbol should be at the end with the bump, and the - on the other side.

http://www.wepsite.net/leke17/Wallpaper%20-%20Battery%20Desk%201600%201200.jpg

You can see some batteries in this picture to see what I mean.
Other than that, GREAT render, I love it’s shininess. =)

Take care!

ThePatrickP: Thanks. The texture was fun to make.

@ner: Yeah, the reflection value really should be lower, I suppose, but I wasn’t ging for realism so much as a larger than life version of the things. Anyhow, the batteries themselves are exceptionally reflective for batteries, I can actually clearly see my face in them.

Mifune: Actually, the metal was too drab in my last render, so I bumped up the raymir value, and ended up with it taking on too much of the probe’s color. Oh well.

[email protected]_: Thanks.

mr_rob: HDRI is assigned by getting an .hdr probe, many of which are available at:

http://www.debevec.org/Probes/

and assigning it as an image texture to the world setting. It won’t show up, but I use the “angmap” button in the world setting as well. Blender doesn’t recognize .hdr, but YafRay does. Anyhow, after you’ve assigned the .hdr file, simply use GI (I use full/best, but I hear that skydome is the only way to get “true” HDRI).

Jedi Dawn: Yes, but there are lots of things to play with to get it right. If you aren’t careful you’ll get disco lights on the floor. It is important at times to edit the .hdr probe, which can be done with a variety of programs. I needed to lower the exposure of this probe to stop it from being as washed out, and I accomplished that with Photosphere, and OS X program.

3DMantis: Thanks! HDRI is fun, eh?

FREEKmedia: Yeah, I switched the pole’s symbols accidentally. Oops. I don’t know that I care. I might do another render at some point if I go grocery shopping or the like. It only takes 20 minutes, but hey, that is plenty long when I’m waiting around.

i flipped the complete texture. but now the texture is readable and if i textured it to the real battery the texture would end up upside down.

i seem to have a insperation on people. people make something like i made two days after i posted my work. that is fun to see.

It only takes 20 minutes, but hey, that is plenty long when I’m waiting around.

Turn on XML export, hit ctrl-c when parsing begins, then run Yafray from the command prompt on the YBtest.xml output file. You can then go back to Blendering all you want!

Thanks Jedi Dawn and anogalr, it’s surprising simple!

Mzungu: Can you elaborate on that process? I’ve tried pushing ctrl - c at various points during the render, but to no effect. Also, how do I run YafRay through the command line?

Can you elaborate on that process?

I’d be glad to, anogarlr! I’m a fan of your work, btw.

(note: I had all this written out minutes ago, but lost it by a mistaken tab to the “jump to” box… grrrr!)

I’m doing this on Windows, so I’m not sure about how other platforms work…

First, be sure you have the xml button under the yafray tab depressed (non-plugin mode.) This causes Blender to run yafray within its command window using an exported xml file. This file, if not defined in the File Paths - YFexport field, defaults to being saved in your Yafray installation folder in a sub-folder named YBtest. The file is also called YBtest.xml.

To cancel the rendering in windows (in this mode only… plugin mode uses the usual “esc” key cancel within the render window) you have to have blender’s command prompt window active and hit ctrl-c prior to when the actual rendering begins (try to catch it during the parse stage - the output file has been written to the drive, but the actual rendering hasn’t begun yet.)

To render the file use a separate command prompt window. Please look at yafray’s site to find out more about how to do this. Its pretty easy. (Note that the multi-thread/process option is disabled under 0.0.7. Kind of a bummer for those with multi-processor or hyper-threaded systems.) You can also edit the xml file manually to “tweak” the settings further (more info on yafray’s site.) You also may want to manually edit the file to change the name and path of the output image, which defaults to the same name/folder as the xml. Scroll to the bottom of the xml file to find this setting.

I’m currently using this method to batch render an animation (more here) but its a laborious task, still. I’m hoping the yafray team makes this capability a feature in a future release!

Hope this helps!

As always, wonderful texturing anogarlr. I love that fact that a good texture can make an average (uncomlicated) model look exceptional, and a poor texture can make an exceptional model look mediocre… Well, to be honest i dont like the second part of that so much (due to the fact i fall prey to it alot myself).

Once again, stellar work.

That looks very cool :slight_smile:

Very cool indeed! Somebody said to lower the reflection/shinyness and I agree a bit, lower the reflections valve a bit but further it is prectically PERFECt (for my opinion)