Headaches with Texture Mapping Coordinates

For 24hrs now, I’ve been trying to get a Grille unto a gate frame (without actually modelling the grille – 'cos that will drastically increase the amount of verts in the scene … and you know what that means). I usually achieve this in MAX by mapping an alpha texture of the grille unto a plane.

So, far doing the same thing in Blender 2.5-Beta has been serious pain. The lack of documentation (that is easy to access) is killing me. I have an alpha texture assigned to the alpha influence and so far transparencies render correctly (arrggh … a bit jaggy, but I think a change in the sampling rate can fix that). Frustration begins with any change to the mapping size. Results seem unpredictable … :mad:

The default is (1,1,1). Increasing those reduces the size of the map but not proportionally. Why is that? :confused: What am I doing wrong? As the reduction increases so does the anomaly. The opaque areas start to dominate leaving you with a very opaque mesh - and no grille.:frowning:

See Blend file

The default coordinate system for texture mapping (called ‘OrCo’ in 2.49 or ‘Generated’ in 2.53) stretches the unit cube of texture to cover the bounding box of your object. For a long and thin object (like your grille) a square grid texture will turn into a stretched grid on the object. If you want to keep the texture proportional, either use a different coordinate system (‘Global’ or ‘Object’) or make the relative texture sizes proportional to the size of the object.

Best wishes,
Matthew