Helix Generator

I tried that - it does affect the resolution of the curve if I convert it. However if I convert the helix object it remains at 12 regardless of any settings I can find. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.
See screenshots - 2nd screen shows selected helix object at 12 even tho the curve was set to 16, changing the resolution at that point has no effect on the helix object.
Thanks!

1 Like

I think if you want to control how much segment (that’s the resolution does, right?), you can set the divisions number for one cycle, and you can also control how much cycles you want by setting the cycles feid.

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 10.52.25 PM

Division Number controls the segments lengthwise. The cycles is number of “loops”. There is no control for resolution with the solidify function. I may be confusing you by me not knowing the terminology. See screenshot for the resolution I’m talking about. Currently it is set to 12 regardless of any settings with the Helix Generator that I can find. Resolution settings for the original curve do not translate to solidify.
Try for yourself. Create bezier curve. Select curve and select any resolution settings - create helix, with solidify. Convert to mesh - check resolution vert count in edit mode. Repeat with different settings (any settings) and you will see that the resolution is always 12 for some reason.
Thanks

1 Like

Hey Aaron - don’t sweat it. I just won’t use the solidify function on HG and add it to the helix curve manually - that way I can use the bevel depth and resolution in the data properties panel to get the numbers I need. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that in the first place!

Still a very useful addon for me, so thanks for that!
Daf

Yep, that’s a good option to solve your issue. :slight_smile:

Please add bias option for the helix …as in 3ds max …it helps to do this (partially squished spring)

2 Likes

Hi, if i understand it right, you can make this kind of helix by combining two or more helixes into one with different helix cycles.

Version 1.0.5:

• Improve floating point input field precision

Just published a new update which fixes your issue, just have a try.

1 Like

it is very complex …where as bias is a single slider in max…if u are not interested in it please tell me …i will not bug u any further

2 Likes

If adding a bias option would improve the workflow, I am definitely interested in it, but i have no clue how the bias would work in this add-on, please tell me more about bias in 3ds Max, if you are willing, i am here to listen.

Right now, i just need to know how bias work.

time stamp 3:13

2 Likes

Hi Aaron,
Just intalled 1.05. Floating point works fine for .0X but still zeros out for .00X - not a big deal tho.
Thanks
Daf

2 Likes

Check if you installed the new version, because I checked it worked in my side. Be sure to uninstall the old version and then install the new one.

I will have a look. Thank you for the video.

1 Like

I also released an update (v1.0.6) which fixes the floating point precision in presets. It should work now if you update to v1.0.6.

1 Like

Yep - that got it! Thanks! :slight_smile:

There may be a lot of Max users, like Arkoprobho_Gupta and myself, that are finding Blender’s twist function lacking as far as helix generation. The helix function in Max is full featured and easier to use. You are on the right track as far as getting Blender up to speed. Good job!

2 Likes

Just watched this video 3 times, and I think i understand what bias does to helix, but I am still learning how to apply the bias parameters to Helix Generator, I think I can make bias into HG. Give me some time.

1 Like

BlenderMarket starts today the Summer Sale.
Helix Generator is 25% OFF. That’s your change if not purchased yet.