Helmet WIP

(macke) #1

http://macke.dyndns.org/render/helmet.jpg

This one is still in heavy progress, only spent an hour or so in total on it.
The specular highlighting and stuff is fixed, so don’t mind the fubared specs in this one. I’m also working on a new texture to fix the stretching on top.

Don’t mind the light setup, its just a spot light to see if the bumping is allright and such. So please, don’t bother that its a crappy set up ;o)

Hope ya like it. Will post the final version asap.

(Goofster) #2

looks cool, if you hadnt said anything about the stretching I wouldnt have noticed.

now for the bad part…

to me it looks more like ceramics, like a flowerpot or something. maybe lose some of the bumps and stuff? but, as you said, you only have this setup to see the bumps, so maybe its just me (it usually is)

glad to see your posting stuff again, the last time was your eyeball I think

Roel

(macke) #3

A bunch of the stuff I make is copyrighted, can’t show ;oP

Yes, the helmet does indeed look like ceramics, but that is as stated because of the weird specular. And most likely, the bumping has something to do with it as well. I think I will remake the texture completely. It is just a hack anyhows…

(fullback) #4

I wouldn’t worry too much about the textures, they look good to me. You can fix anything with lighting and specularity maps. Helmets are supposed to be beat up, dinged, dirty, scarred and bent — etc., etc., Maybe try to add a dent from a bullet or something – the bastard wearing it was lucky.

One problem though----

You are using the acronym FUBAR on the helmet. That is an american term, yet the helmet (unless the lighting is hiding the lip/brim) isn’t U.S. issue. It actually looks like a Japanese WWII helmet to me.

Your modeling and texturing are so good already, why not just make the actual mesh correct?

(theeth) #5

I have to agree with Goofy about the helmet looking like a flower pot, but I think that’s not only due to the weird spec…

If you look at the bump map closely, you’ll notice that the specularity highlights are placed as if the bumps were inward which would is quite usual, since the bumps look like dirt. Also, if they were inwards, scratches of that size on a metal helmet would be weird.

Nice subject btw. There could be a whole phylosophical meaning hidden under it.

Martin

(macke) #6

Fullback: Bingo. FUBAR is an american acronym meaning Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition. Lovely isn’t it ;o)

It is also the name of my group making movies in school. And this helmet thingie is supposedly going to advance into a anim.

The helmet is not a US helmet, no. I did infact have a look at a whole bunch of helmets, german, japaneese, us. But I just figured none had the shape I wanted, so I just made a dummy mesh until I make a real mesh. To try out the texturing. And as I’ve noticed, Blender has quite a problem with bumpmapping it seams, some places the bumping gets inverted etc. Really really annoying.

Theeth: Yes, my reason for wanting to make a new texture is that I screwed up some layers, so the bumpmap is really just a pseudo map. You know, take col map, make grayscale and play with levels for a while ;o)

Anyhows, glad I got the comments I did. Makes me think that a more planned approach would be nice ;o)

(fullback) #7

The helmet is not a US helmet, no. I did infact have a look at a whole bunch of helmets, german, japaneese, us. But I just figured none had the shape I wanted, so I just made a dummy mesh until I make a real mesh. To try out the texturing.

That’s cool. Just a test run then.

I would be interested in seeing the final version and possibly hearing about how you approached the texturing dilemma.

(S68) #8

Nice helmet,

It was a long time since your last IMT post…

Stefano

(macke) #9

Nice helmet,

It was a long time since your last IMT post…

Stefano

Why thank you, and yes.

I would be interested in seeing the final version and possibly hearing about how you approached the texturing dilemma.

I’m thinking of uv mapping it. But I’m not quite sure what kind of unwrapping to use.[/quote]