Help a Noob; Bevel not working properly?

Hi guys,

As stated, I’m new here (hello!) and I’ve just recently begun working with blender. I started out a couple of months ago, followed heaps of online lessons and tutorials and now trying to make something on my own, but I got stuck on a rather ambiguous project; A door.

Yes a door. My problem is probably fairly simple for you guys, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why this isn’t working the way I want it to. (I don’t have enough permissions yet to post actual images :frowning: )

These are the edges I’m trying to bevel. They are basically cut off pyramids if you will.

These:

But whenever I try to bevel them they basically stay flat on the face. The bevel moves inward a tiiiiinnnyyyy bit, but almost not enough to notice besides when you scroll between segments really fast.

Tried selecting multiple edges, too, (even though I know that’s not it) same result.

Here you can cleary see the beveled edges stay exactly flat.

Can anybody tell me where exactly I am going wrong, or what I am missing before this will work? Or am I approaching this from the wrong angle? (pun intended yeaaaaaaaaahhhhh)

Thanks in advance,

Dylan

Look at your objects Scale

Apply the object scale (in object mode use Ctrl+A / Scale) before bevelling

1 Like

Hi,

It looks to me like you are trying to bevel a set of edges that are flat?

See below on the left if you extrude your face inwards and then bevel
the resulting edges you get what I believe you are looking for? On the
right I have recreated what I think you are attempting and not having
much luck.

Hope this helps?

Pixeltwist

Wow, that was even more simple than I expected… Thank you so much, it’s these little things like applying the scale that don’t yet combine for a beginner that make it so hard to start… You’re help is very much appreciated!! Thanks a million!

@ Pixeltwist; the edges are extruded and scaled outward a bit, am I correct in assuming this should work the same as shown on the left in your image, but outside instead of inside? Or doesn’t it work that way? Thanks for your input either way :slight_smile:

Wow, that was even more simple than I expected… Thank you so much, it’s these little things like applying the scale that don’t yet combine for a beginner that make it so hard to start… You’re help is very much appreciated!! Thanks a million!

@ Pixeltwist; the edges are extruded and scaled outward a bit, am I correct in assuming this should work the same as shown on the left in your image, but outside instead of inside? Or doesn’t it work that way? Thanks for your input either way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apologies for getting it wrong… Getting old.

Should work inside and out.

Here is another set of bevels:

Rgds,

P.

I was having difficulty trying to figure out why my bevel wasn’t beveling correctly. ctrl-a to apply scale was what I needed! Thank you.