Help - adding realism to scenes

Hello, i was just looking for a few good methods of adding realism to scenes.
how do u add shake to cameras,
add mist to a scene and add a general feel of realism to a scenario.
ive started by UV mapping a texture, and adding a normal map + soft body to it.
is it worth still setting spec values with a UV map?
if you got any advice, or link to some useful tutorials, ill like to learn a few different methods.
Thankyou all, blender users are so helpful.
Keep up the good work, ciao

Friend your question encompasses all of 3d. How to add realism. Model the earth and then run a fluid and volumetric simulation that simulates reality, and then hit render. Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

well yeh… but im looking for techniques other people use, just to learn different methods etc…
like camera shake for flight,
fog layers and mist etc
like this tutorial is worth a watch …

if you know of any more please lemme know. full credit to the author of the tutorial as well.
ciao guys

(whups… dupe)

I’ve got several books on photorealistic rendering technique.

Nevertheless, I think that making a really good CG scene borrows a lot from the art of making a good (studio…) photograph, which I am fairly familiar with. They also borrow a lot from the darkroom, which I am also familiar with. Building up an outstanding composition in any of these (not that I have ever successfully done it yet, 'tho I’ve tried enough times…) is a technique that hides most of the effort in the finished work.

There are a few “masters,” like Ansel Adams and O. Winston Link. Both of these gentlemen in their own way mastered the art of large-format photography and both of them actually wrote textbooks about what they did. It’s what you want for Christmas.

A “good render,” then, must start by being a “good photograph.” I submit that you should pay a great deal of attention to matters like these: - Composition: How and where you place the camera; the lens-selection and perhaps the type of camera projection. - Lighting: Start from pure-dark and add lights one at a time. The eye will zero-in on the brightest and most contrasty area of the shot, then wants to “walk a loop” to get back to where it began. Lights should not be “white.” - Tonal Range: Ansel’s “Zone System” wrapped up in the ‘histogram’ tool. If the shot is not well-lit it can’t be pleasing. This is probably the number-one mistake I see around here. - “Look at the light”: Not the scene, not what you intended to shoot, but literally, “the light.” Hone your powers of observation. - Reverse-engineer your mistakes: Your eye instantly tells you “it’s wrong,” “it’s not real.” Or simply, “it’s not pleasing.” But it’s up to you to understand why your eye says that, and what to do about it. Observe. To execute the picture in CG, you must also master the “digital darkroom,” that is to say, node-based compositing. Just as lighting is built-up one step at a time, so is the entire picture, using so-called passes. If you are “mashing the Big Red ‘Render’ Button” and waiting fourteen hours, then tweaking something an pressing the BFRB again and waiting fourteen hours more, then “you are doing something wrong.” So to speak. Oh, Blender will do exactly what you tell it to, but can never eat well that way.

Blather, blather, blah. I think I’ll grab another cup of coffee and go back into my rabbit-hole now. :slight_smile: Anyway, “HTH …”

cheers,
but any cool tut links :smiley: ?
thanks sandi, got a few good tips from u then. cheers
ill leave this post uo for a while and see what else i learn
thanks guys

facingbook – sundialsvc4 told you almost everything you need to know. There’s no quick fix or answer. No special button (or series of buttons) to push. The only thing I’d add, which should be obvious but I’m constantly impressed by other people’s differing opinion as to what actually is obvious, is that you need to really learn your tool alongside everything he said. Only once you have a good grasp of Blender, plus understand the concepts that sundialsvc4 expressed will you be able to do what you want.

On that same topic, the learning Blender 2.5 book that’s coming out in July specifically works toward getting believable scenes and rendering out of Blender.