Help: any experiences/opinions?

the advantages of learning animation using Book w/ inter-active CD compared to Book alone
and CD alone.
Hi, I’m Joseph and is now doing an undergraduate thesis regarding
the efficiency of learning the principles of animation using a book with a supplemental inter-active CD-ROM.

I’m currently looking for testimonials that states something about the efficiency of
Book w/ CD as a self-learning instrument as compared to book alone and/or CD alone.
You can also state which is more favorable to you through your experiences.

Those experiences of artists like you people are crucial and VERY helpful to my research method regarding this topic.
(Note: this thread isn’t only limited to learning animation. you can also share your testimonials and or opinions
on other topics like other tutorials as long as it involves book w/ CD as your self-learning tool)

Thank you in advance and I hope for you to bear on this with me.:slight_smile:

Well for a start you could have exactly the same information in exactly the same format in either a book or cd.

Disadvantage of cd: gotta keep pressing alt+tab
Disadvantage of book: gotta keep looking down

The idea of an interactive CD is that you interact with it, not like a video cd where you watch it, pause it and switch screen to try it and switch back.

either way, a book + cd will always be the better contender because people get the best of both worlds, so unless other variables are added I dont see the logic in such an evaluation of peoples learning efficentcy.

Does people’s dominating learning method take part in this? (the stupid test that see’s if your a “visual” “audio” or “active” (as in doing it, not reading or looking at diagrams) learner.

Other things such as where you will be learning to, such as in the open, on the move etc… must play a part in this evaluation. possibly if people wear glasses or not thus having a dislike to using books over audio…

How does learning animation differ to other subjects? does the book have images or not… so many possibilities so little said…

Yeah, I would use the cd to follow the class for the first time. Get all the information in as a general lesson and use the book for quick reference when I can’t remember how do to one thing.

The alt tab does get anoying so I enjoy having a book
And a book always is a nice thing to have in your hands. You feel like you bought something and looking at the pages once in a while is alway interesting since you cant memorise it all.

So as said above, you get the best out of both worlds

It depends what you are learning. I bought a maya book with a CD and the book itself was ok but it was much better having example files to work with.

Likewise if you are learning about music, hearing the difference between two styles of music is far more effective than a description of the difference.

On the other hand, some books can work better with less content in the same way as abstract art. The information presented only stimulates the imagination of the reader. In some cases, that would be a more effective learning tool.

I don’t think there will be a firm conclusion as to which is better because certain types work better for different subject matter and audiences.

As Edeehem said though, having both is probably best so you can choose what works best for you.

Ever heard of e-books?
Those are books, in digital format.
So you can put a book on a cd.
Of course, that has it’s disadvantages too (Alt + tab, eye strain), but there are Paper book/interactive cd combo’s out there. My preference are cd’s with information parts, example parts and then the interactive parts. You can actually quickly search E-books, which gives them a speed advantage.

first of all, i really appreciate your responses here. I really thank you, guys!

Actually, i’ve conducted a survey among the students in my school. Almost all of them are highly intrested in learning animation.so far, they are more favorable to book+cd astheir self-learning tool, and I always see the phrase “best of both worlds” in their responses. They primarily prefer to learn in the comforts of their homes though they also want to learn through workshops, but the problem is the money, so obviously, they’ll stick back again to self-learning.

Yes, there are other ways of learning animation. For me, the best way is when you really tried working (even as an apprentice) in a studio/in the real industry or by just simply experimenting with the craft indipendently.

I hope more responses will come. thanks.

Originally Posted by lukus
How does learning animation differ to other subjects? does the book have images or not… so many possibilities so little said…

For me, animation differs than othe subjcts (like music) because it teaches movements.
I forsee that the book will of course include images… still images, but it’ll be dominated by text to explain a series of illustration; while in the cd,
thre’s also gonna have text, but in a minimal scale for it can already accomodate movements. The book will explain the indepth theory
of the principles of animation while the cd shows what’s it’s explaining. I think, these 2 variables share same
elements such as text, images and moving images.

Book: 1. TEXT = high 2. STILL IMAGES = moderate-high 3. MOVING IMAGES/INTER-ACTIVITY(series of drawings/fliped images) = low
CD: 1. TEXT = moderate 2. STILL IMAGES = low 3. MOVING IMAGES/INTER-ACTIVITY = high
the 2 variables can go hand-in-hand for (so it “may” be easier) explaining and learning of the principles of animation for they both fill each other’s weakness, though they can also be used indipendent w/ each other .

My vote is for Book plus CD.
If the CD is setup well it will help flesh out parts of the book that might be hard to explain and provide example files that you could load into your animation program.
Books that are fairly up to date are handy to me as a reference to browse, especially for hot-keys, without cluttering up my desktop. Desktop realty is of high importance to me.

thanks. hope many responses will come.

Tell, show, do. I think a book is best for the telling part if there’s lots of history, theory, and technique to learn about -cos you can’t curl up on the sofa or in bed with a computer monitor very easily, and it’s easier on the eyes. Video is best for the showing part. Interactive is best for the “do it” part. So…

Book with CD/DVD gets my vote.

Actually, me learning animation is usually more like 2 books open, 10 webpages, maybe a lesson video on pause, my animation app open, and a dvd playing a Pixar movie on a TV with the sound down. Depends on what I’m doing but everything is there for reference and inspiration. Total immersion I guess. I also read and watch everything through first before I go back and get to the doing.

thanks, larry… anymore experiences on the effectivity of combines medium of book + cd, anyone?