Help-Environment mapping for newbi

I want to put a sky reflection onto the windows of my helicopter (it will be animated so no raytrace) and thought Env map would be helpfull. But I don’t get it, other tuts are for built environments I only have a chopper model and a big cloud image for the env. (all to to be keyed into video later).

I admit I don’t get the manual’s explanation.

Cheers David

You just add a texture and select EnvMap as the type and click the “Anim” button. It takes six pics (6 faces of a cube) and will only show what it sees in those six views so… If you fiddle and tweak then hit “free data” every time you prepare to render or it’ll render with the last rendered set of pics. (“Free All Data” button on the right is for when you have more than one EnvMap texture) The tooltips explain the rest quite adequately.

%<

But my scene only has the chopper in it, as it will be keyed to a background later. How can I use a still image of some sky to reflect on the indows?

Cheers David

You can stick dummy objects all around the model as refrence points (different colored cubes and cones are good for this). Then click "Save EnvMap (between the 2 Free Data buttons). Take that map to photoshop and fill in Sky and landscape.Free data then Load it back in and render (without the habitual Free Data this time).

%<

I tried that but could not find the render that (save env map) it produces, where does this go?

You have to render so it has a rendered image to save. Then when you hit save it’ll give you a directory where you get to choose where to stash it.

%<