Help!! How do I create a 3D eye model!! (not front surface back inside of the eye!!)

Hi there

I’m new to Blender and I need to create a eye model for my project that’s due in 2 months time. The model is not outside of the eye. I need to remake concave surface of the eye and its blood vessels. Similar to this youtube clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAei3QZe1Q

I’ve tried so long on it, but not successful at all. I’ve managed to use UV sphere and made a half eye ball. And blood vessel looking structures. But ideally is to use texture map to put a retinal image on it to make it pretty…I’ve read the tutorials about texturing mapping logos onto the box, but it’s not working when I did it on sphere, and it kept mapping on the outer surface of the sphere!! I need it to be inside! Like inside the eye kinda. I don’t know how to do it, I thought about colouring each block separately, but this is not paint…can’t pour colours into the box :"(

Be so great if someone can help me :frowning:

Thank yu!!

This is what I’ve made…cone attempt 02 more circular.blend (591 KB)
It’s quite fail… :frowning: :no:

Create your material, go into edit mode, select the polygons you want to have the material show up on and hit assign. Place a texture slot in this material and set it to spherical and you should be done. Of course UV mapping does a better job. One other thing to point out is that you have to give your model thickness if you haven’t already, or else you will end up with the texture on both sides.

Thanks ajm for fast reply :slight_smile: Is there a video I can relate to? I suck at doing this. And also how do you give your model thickness?? So if you give your model thickness. You can choose to place texture on inside or outside? How do you do that?

Here’s a file you can look at. Your model had way too many polys and could have been simplified with a subdivision surface model like this. There are a few other things to get the look right and some effects you can do, but we’ll focus on the eye in general. This is a simple sphere with materials applied to it so you can see the difference in surfaces. You have to view it in edit mode or texture shading mode.

example.blend (457 KB)

I took a UV sphere deleted half of the verts
Used a solidify modifier on the object and applied it (use even thickness)
Added a subdivision surface
Added 2 loops cuts (ctrl-r) around the edge to sharpen transition of the surfaces
Made 2 materials (sclera and inner)
selected the inner polygons and in edit mode assigned the inner material to those
Inverted selection and applied sclera material to those polygons in edit mode as well
done
add textures to slots for the materials as needed.

Ask questions if you have them.

Wow… you created something that I spent days trying to create but couldn’t even get a basic outline… >< so pro!!!
So what you saying is that All I need UV texture map the inner surface to create the eye that i’m looking for?
I need to create some “dents” for the optic nerve of the eye, kinda like this http://www.ledcnet.force9.co.uk/images/3d%20disk.jpg. where i need blood vessels to come out. before when i had vertices inside the surface, i was gona select those vertices and pull/push to make a dent. if i use the eye ball you made for me as a template. can i still do that??? I don’t see any vertices in the inner surface :S

Yes you can. I would really study subdivision modelling. I know Richard Culver has some writings about this, based in LightWave, but the principals of sub-d modelling translates through all apps. Depending on the type of dent and depth and so on, there are a few ways to go about this. The following is an example of one way…

Sub-d modelling is a way to make curved or organic surfaces by using a limited amount of geometry, and then having the sub-d interpolate sub divided smooth surfaces between one loop and another (for a short explanation). Like I said, search for subdivision modelling on the net and study that. The modelling for your project in general should take anywhere from 20 min.- possibly 1 1/2 hours for a beginner and depending on the detail you wish to achieve. Texturing, lighting and animation (if any) will take a bit longer. You have more than enough time to finish within the 2 months assigned, at least from what I can tell.

wow…that’s amazing. 20mins - 1.5 hrs you serious?? hahaha the hardest is to actually know how to do it. Thanks ajm!! I’ll go study richard culver’s things tomorrow. be great if i can ask you if i have anymore questions ^^

Hi Ajm,
I listened to you and read up on sub division modelling and i get the concept. But I don’t know how to applied to it. I tried to create the half sphere like you said. But after I gave it a thickness, there’s no 2 surfaces. I found that if I pull the thickness in one direction, It would give me vertices on outer surface, but that won’t allow me to put a dent in inner surface even if i applied sub division modelling. When I pulled the thickness in other direction, I was able to work with all the vertices inside and out. However, I couldn’t separate them. Not to mention applying a surface/ image to the inner circle. Would be great if you can help me and see what I’ve done wrong. And please have a more detailed explanations about what you did, since I’m very noob, I might not be able to follow it like the previous instructions you told you.

Thank you so much!!

Attachments

attempt 01.blend (518 KB)attempt 02.blend (478 KB)

You are still using way too many polygons for the model in general, you don’t need a whole lot of them to get a smooth surface since the sub surf modifier will do that for you and interpolate curvature. A default UV sphere with 32 x 16 divisions cut in half will do the job nicely. The reason why you don’t have 2 surfaces is that you didn’t apply the solidify modifier. Modifiers in general are not “actual geometry” and in that sense are not directly editable. You have to apply modifiers in object mode, by hitting the apply button in the modifier panel, so that you can deal with the geometry directly in edit mode.

As a side note: the sub surf modifier does not need to be applied, and in many cases need not be applied at all. If you do, this “freezes” the mesh and turns all the subdivisions into actual polygons, which in this case you don’t want.

To add thickness i just say duplicate the eyeball, scale it up, and with the larger sphere, create that string tube at the back of the eye and mak the large eye white ofcourse showing the retina and what not. Now put it in another layer. With the smaller sphere you can texture the inside of the eye. Now it won’t matter if it shows or not because you can click on different layers, one layer is the outside of the eye and one layer is the inside. Put the two layers together and boom a completed eye.