Help, I'm having trouble modeling these fenders

I’m having a hard time uploading anything new onto this site, so this is not the most recent copy of the file. I cleaned up the topography in the more recent file and deleted the front fenders to start over on them. But I am having a really hard time trying to figure out how to model the fenders. I know this is a real challenging model for a first time attempt, but I am trying to do a music video for VNV Nation and this is a car that will be featured in the video. I haven’t found any tutorials on how to model fenders like these and would appreciate any input that might help me try to figure this out. Your help is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Below is the attachment and some pictures of what the car looks like.
RollsRoyce.blend (517 KB)

probably curves are what you need…
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Curves
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Curves/Editing/Advanced

What is the designation (model) of this car? These pix are poor references for modeling.

It’s a Rolls Royce Phantom III Cabriolet. I am modeling from the blueprints more than I am the images.

You’re lucky Sabba has stepped in to help you out because he’s the go to person for vintage cars. But while he’s thinking I’ll pop my hint in here: it looks like you ar trying to sculpt this beauty; I would not do it that way at all, too time consuming. If you have blueprints you might try making curves that match some of the edges and then bridging them. A very accurate and tight way to do this is to use NURBS surfaces but I am not sure what your Blueprints are like and you will need good ones for that. Can you show a shot of the plans you are working from?

Guys… I dont mean to "hijack" at all but Id like to ask a question sabba.

As someone whos just started to model my first car from a tut, Im just wondering why, in your opinion, those pics are bad for reference images to model from?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Those attached ones are too small for one. They’re there just to show a preview of the car. Larger image reveal more details, like where the different parts meet but would still need more references.

What makes them almost useless for modeling is that the camera angles, focal length, lighting, reflections makes it impossible to follow the shapes and how they relate to other shapes. Front grill is an easy example: just by looking at those images, try to find out how far back the front grill is in relation to front fenders. Does the center of the grill come out or not?
There’s not much information about the side of the car either. It’s visible but you don’t get much out of it. How it curves, is it wider on the back or not, how it curves along the width of the car.

Hey, I got it figured out the best I can thanks to all your help. It’s not going to be 100% exact but close enough is good enough for me. Right now I have this strange transparent cube hovering around the front end of the car and I don’t know what it is or how it got there or how to get rid of it. I did accidentally hit a button close to the right side caps lock and shift keys when it appeared but I don’t know which one it was. I’m still having trouble uploading anything onto this site, otherwise I’d have a pic or the blend file to show you, but the upload problems might be due to the fact that the only internet connection I have is by tethering my phone to my computer. Any help is appreciated!

If it has dashed lines it’s most likely the outlines of (generated) texture space. You have some control over it and can move (shift+T) and scale it (alt+shift+T). You can disable its display from the object properties -> display section