Help Me Build a Gaming PC...on a budget...

So, I’m going to buy a gaming PC. I’m very good with such things. So I have a chart that I am going to use to help me decide on parts (this is going to be a custom build from IBuyPower.com). Here is a chart that I’ve made:

http://files-upload.com/files/589031/parts.xls

Help me fill it out and post your results. Please include in the chart under the “Parts” column (column C):

• Processor
  • Memory
  • Video Card/GPU
  • Motherboard
  • Optical Drive
  • Hard Drive
  • Power Supply
  • Monitor
  • Keyboard/Mouse
  • and Sound SystemJust give me your thoughts and input as to what you think I need to build an entry-level Gaming PC. What I think is on the Second Sheet. Also, Ignore the “Check” and “Better” columns. That parts for me. Thanks fo your input!!

Here’s the list.

E6600 or better
2GB DDR2-800 (or faster)
8800GT (from EVGA or XFX)
EVGA 680i SLI SE
Dual layer DVD-RW
Western Digital 320GB (or higher)
550W (Hiper, Corsair)
Whatever you can afford
Wireless laser desktop from Logitech
Whatever you can afford

Should total to about… $1100-1300 depending on what you have. It’s very similar to my setup now, it it’s a champ.

I’m not sure what the spreadsheet is for because we can’t upload them back to you, but I filled it out anyways if you have any ideas…

I just built a modestly powerful box for about $400 (although I admit I reused the case and optical drives of the old one.)

It has:
AMD Athlon 64 2GhZ
1 GB Ram
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 7600
250 GB HD
ASUS Motherboard (Can’t remember specs off the top of my head)

Nothing else is especially important in my opinion. I just use the integrated sound on my soundcard, and typical monitors and interface devices. I do have an AirFlo mouse, I recommend that. As far as power supply goes, just make sure it’s powerful enough for your system. I don’t think you need anything more complicated than a DVD-ROM drive.

Admittedly I don’t play a lot of games, but I haven’t seen anything yet that it flat-out can’t do. It runs all the Myst games and Darwinia beautifully! :slight_smile: (And Blender too of course)

You said you’re on a budget. What is the budget? It will help if you give us a ballpark figure. You said it’s entry level, so can’t be too much. There will be a big difference in components between $600 and $900 for example.

I just built a system for around $700 (including monitor), its not a hardcore gaming machine, but it plays everything I want to at highest settings. I play Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Dark Messiah, Star Wars: Empire at War, HL2 and Episode 1 and 2, etc…

AMD X2 3800 - OC’ed to 2.7 GHz
2 Gigs of DDR RAM - I forget the speed not at that PC right now
nVidia 8500gts - OC’ed to I believe 525Mhz and Memory at around 500Mhz
350 Gigs of HD space - 2 HD’s installed
500 Watt Power Supply
19’ Acer Widescreen monitor / 32’ LCD TV (if I feel like moving the PC to the living room :slight_smile: )

If your not looking for a super fast, melt your face system, you can build something to play games on (and very well actually) for even cheaper. Use any spare parts you can, it will save you money.

Should total to about… $1100-1300 depending on what you have. It’s very similar to my setup now, it it’s a champ.

I’m not sure what the spreadsheet is for because we can’t upload them back to you, but I filled it out anyways if you have any ideas…

That’s a bit too pricy…I’m lookin’ $600 and under…Nice rig though!

It has:
AMD Athlon 64 2GhZ
1 GB Ram
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 7600
250 GB HD
ASUS Motherboard (Can’t remember specs off the top of my head)

That’s about what I’m looking at right now…BTW: I’m still saving up right now. I’ll start working in January and should be ready to buy in February or March.

You said you’re on a budget. What is the budget? It will help if you give us a ballpark figure. You said it’s entry level, so can’t be too much. There will be a big difference in components between $600 and $900 for example.

About $600 for the box itself, $200 or less for a monitor, $60 for the Surround Sound, and less than $60 for the keyboard and mouse.

I just built a system for around $700 (including monitor), its not a hardcore gaming machine, but it plays everything I want to at highest settings. I play Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Dark Messiah, Star Wars: Empire at War, HL2 and Episode 1 and 2, etc…

AMD X2 3800 - OC’ed to 2.7 GHz
2 Gigs of DDR RAM - I forget the speed not at that PC right now
nVidia 8500gts - OC’ed to I believe 525Mhz and Memory at around 500Mhz
350 Gigs of HD space - 2 HD’s installed
500 Watt Power Supply
19’ Acer Widescreen monitor / 32’ LCD TV (if I feel like moving the PC to the living room :slight_smile: )

If your not looking for a super fast, melt your face system, you can build something to play games on (and very well actually) for even cheaper. Use any spare parts you can, it will save you money.

That’s about what I’m looking at. I will upgrade my RAM later on, but I just want a box to start with.

My current Specs are looking like:
AMD Athlon X2 2.8Ghz
1Gb RAM (later upgraded to two or three)
nVidia 8500GTS 512Mhz memory
200Gb Hard Drive + 10Gb recycled drive for the OS(?)
450w supply (or will I need more?)
22" Acer Widescreen Flatpanel or 19" HDTV (they’re the same price…)

Sounds good to anyone? I want to be able to run: Bioshock, Halo 2, Portal, Crysis, Assassin’s Creed, etc. It meets all of those standards and recommended specs, but what do ya’ll think?

If you’ll only be buying in February, all the prices will have changed by then. So any advice given now is not particularly useful…

By the time February comes around, you’ll probably be able to buy an 8800gt for a good price. You’ll be able to grab a much better processor too. You’ll most likely need a bit more than a 450w psu. 550w minimum for guaranteed stability with a single higher-end graphics card. The 8500gts you’ve got there is not a particularly powerful card, so a 450w psu would be fine for that. But it won’t really give you enough horsepower imo.

Okay…yeah. I’m buying the PC from IBuyPower.com, a custom build service, and I dont know how much cheaper the card will be on there. It doesn’t tell you individual prices for each part…
I think I will go up to 550…ohhhh…that tacks on $55!!!
I’ve been thinking foward, however, and I decided to make this sucker SLI ready right from the get-go, so I can add another GPU later on in life. What exactly do I need to be SLI ready?

An SLI capable motherboard. Meaning one with at least two pcie 8x or faster slots. The nvidia 650i or 680i are examples of such. You can google around for ‘SLI motherboards’ in order to get an idea of what is available.

Oh, yeah I got the mobo. I meant anything special? Certain memory, power supply, etc?

just becose a motherboard has 2 pci-e slots dusent meen its sli compatible. ati has a simaler system called crossfire. and as far as i know the 2 systems are not compatible

No, It’s an SLI-ready mobo, but thanks for your concern.

All you need for SLI is an SLI mobo and 2 SLI capable cards of the same chipset. Standard ddr2 memory is fine.

Of course, there are ‘SLI capable’ motherboards that are not good for SLI. For example the new P35 chipsets only supply 4x speed to the second pcie slot AFAIK. Hence Nvidia 650i and 680i are the safest bets.