Help me!- some nasty bugs.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues: at certain times when scaling, the vertices get mangled along the line of sight, so that it looks fine from the normal viewing angle, but messed up from any others (say, I scale a square on the y axis while looking at it along the z axis. The vertices will wind up randomly placed along the z axis.) This happens fairly frequently, and the complexity of the object does not seem to matter- it could be a whole person, or a cube.
When I click ‘new file’ it gives me what appears to be a frozen-in-time snapshot of something I was working on a couple of days ago instead.
Certain scripts freeze my computer. My computer has 2G ram, and it freezes with these scripts whether the file is large or small.
Files I have not saved wind up partially saved anyway.
Most importantly, the re-topo doesn’t work. It does many and varied things depending on its mood and my viewing angle, but not one of them is what it’s meant to do. Yes, I read the manual. Yes, I followed the little tutorial in the manual. It didn’t work. The points happily placed themselves exactly where they felt like- like the scaling issue, they looked right from the initial viewing angle, but from others, they were either randomly positioned, or at ‘zero’ along one axis.
Has anyone else had these issues- and if so, how do you fix them? I really don’t want to start using commercial programs again.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues: at certain times when scaling, the vertices get mangled along the line of sight, so that it looks fine from the normal viewing angle, but messed up from any others (say, I scale a square on the y axis while looking at it along the z axis. The vertices will wind up randomly placed along the z axis.) This happens fairly frequently, and the complexity of the object does not seem to matter- it could be a whole person, or a cube.

First issue sounds like you have “retopo” on while editing.

When I click ‘new file’ it gives me what appears to be a frozen-in-time snapshot of something I was working on a couple of days ago instead.
Second issues is because you saved your default settings with whatever it was you were doing a few days ago. ( “fix” it by doing “file/load factory settings” )

Most importantly, the re-topo doesn’t work.
Retopo works fine. Perhaps a discription/blend file with screenshots of the problem you are having using it will get the help you need.

Files I have not saved wind up partially saved anyway.
Files are auto backed up, so yes they will be saved anyway.

Possibly you are dealing with graphics driver/card issues, but I doubt it.

Pappy

:frowning: I checked that I had retopo off when i didn’t want it retopo-ing, and when I have retopo on, it never snaps the points to the underneath- this issue has been happening occasionally to me since several versions ago, before they even had retopo.
What I meant about the saving is that, when I import a mesh from another format, it saves it over that too, instead of just the blend file- I’ve had to rename fies after loading them to avoid it being that way.
Thanks anyway, though- you were right about the new file thing (though I don’t know how I saved it like that, unless there’s a hotkey for it I hitby accident) :slight_smile:
you’re right about my graphics card, it’s always caused problems with certain software- the reason i use blender is because it has less problems with my computer than most other programs I’ve used. sigh I have about a billion hardware conflicts going on, too… I really need to build or buy a new computer

Ctrl-U is the save defaults button, you can see that in the master file menu. Why they gave what seems like a rarely used command a basic shortcut, I don’t know.

About retopo … I was experimenting with retopo in paint mode the other day. I was just using a random upscaled sphere at the origin. The lines I made looked fine, but if I rotated the view I could see that they were alternatly where they were supposed to be and projected a jillion miles down the Z axis of the prior view vector. Except sometimes they were all just on a origin-crossing original-view-perpindicular plane INSIDE the sphere. I don’t remember if these two things happened at the same time.

Retopo via dropping new verts on an object’s shell worked fine though.

I tired the same file on my other computer (the evil ready-made junker of doom…) and it seemed to work happily… I think it may just be my computer