Help - Modelling Assets Creation for large scene

Hi,

I’m working on creating a toon city environment similar to short movie ‘Alike’, and I need to create a similar buildings with variations in terms of size, shape and random number and placement of windows.

I have designed a following one building model with two type of window designs.

Now, I am looking for a solution to achieve the following:

1. Every window must cut hole in a wall. I have saw an example of ready to use windows that cut hole in the wall automatically, video
  2. rather placing so many individual copies of windows object, I need a way to create a virtual copy.
  3. Must be able to control the random placement of windows on wall.
  4. Like in movie Alike, I want to change only the size of building and to add different roof to give unique look to building, what is the best practice.

Any help or guidance shall be highly appreciable.

thanks,
ArV

1. This kind of addon is using an invisible mesh creating the hole by a boolean operation.
    Without automation of addon, you need to manually set-up a mesh with boolean modifier.

2. That is the principle of collection instance. That is an empty object instancing of everything contained in a collection. But such collection instance can’t be taken into account by a boolean modifier.
    What, you can do is to make a linked duplicate of a mesh used by modifier. That is a real object but sharing Mesh data with another one. When you modify one mesh, it modifies the others.

3. What to do depends of your strategy to duplicate windows. You can use particles + particle instance modifier. You can use object scatter addon or a procedural modeling addon. You can use Randomize Transform operator. …
    Whatever method is there are always settings offering a certain amount of freedom and a certain amount of compexity. That depends of the tool used.

4. There are several ways to make an instance. Instancing panel, manual creation of instance one by one, particles, procedural modeling addons.
    In all methods, there is an easy way to modify size. But if you want to use a different roof, that implies that roof is a different object.
    For most simple ways of instancing, that means that you will have to multiply instancing process.
    For example, if you instance building by using Instancing according to faces of a parent grid mesh.
    You will have to create an other parent mesh per type of roof.
    If you are using complex ways of instancing (particles or procedural modeling addons), that implies that you need created variations to be used as data inputs of system. That means that you have to go through tutorials and manual to learn how to correctly use these tools.

1 Like
  1. How can I automate this type of Boolean operation. Manual Boolean modifier is too much of effort for 100 building we need to at least create 10-15 variations with min. 30 windows per building.

2. I have tried Collection and linked duplicates but in my requirement every building will be little different so Linked duplicates doesn’t work. Please guide on Collection front.

3. Actually, windows has two challenges, first, must be able to cut hole automatically, second, controlling random position on building walls. Please guide with some example if possible.

4. Currently I have opted to make building without roof and later attach separate root to give it unique look, but bevel (even modifier) messed up the modal.

Is there any case study or process flow guide to handle such situations? or may be a project with similar challenges?