Help needed, Advanced viewport controls.

Okay, so i know basicly everything you can do with middle mouse, shift, numpad etc… But there are things I would still like to be able to do…

Focus/Center
Focus on selected items origin, or average of multple items. Example, a distant and high elevation object needs attention, I would like to click on it, and have the viewport snap to its origin as its point of focus… Or if i pick multiple objects, the center of those multiple objets…

Drag and Chase
To be able to translate an object but have the view-port stay on the object, if anyone uses unreal they know what im talking about.

I have looked up over a dozen youtube videos on the subject but they all seem to cover pan, rotate, ortho, and then end the lesson there.

Some other things unrelated… I dont want to make a ton of threads but at the same time this stuff is different topics… so… should i just make new threads? or…

Either way heres my other problems.

Grid acting weird.
My grid is set to metric at 1 meter intervals… except when i goto top ortho view, then things only snap to like 10 meter intervals… why?

Grid elevation
If i want to move my grid up or down within my scene without moving my entire scene up or down how do i do that? Right now the grid is displayed at Z = 0m If i want to move it up to 20m… how?

Snapping a camera/spotlight to viewport.
This is something people in max/unreal will also understand (and by no means do i know how to use max really any better than blender im still a complete noob there too) but… you can take a spotlight/camera and tie it to your viewport, so as you rotate your viewport it will rotate the light/camera, so basically you can aim your viewport where you want the camera/light to go, now i do know how to do the reverse, snap a viewport to a camera/light, but if you move the viewport the camera/light remains set, and the only way to kinda do both is to split your viewport and move your camera from a 3rd person perspective. Is there a way to do this like I want? Where I can find a view i like in my viewport, then just add camera from that perspective? Or modify an existing camera in this way?

Focus/Center
Focus on selected items origin, or average of multple items. Example, a distant and high elevation object needs attention, I would like to click on it, and have the viewport snap to its origin as its point of focus… Or if i pick multiple objects, the center of those multiple objets…

I suggest you look at the menus to see what options you have

Drag and Chase
To be able to translate an object but have the view-port stay on the object,
Properties panel (shortcut N) and under View select your object in the ‘Lock to Object’ box

Grid elevation
If i want to move my grid up or down within my scene without moving my entire scene up or down how do i do that? Right now the grid is displayed at Z = 0m
That’s what the grid represents
If i want to move it up to 20m… how?
Move your objects down 20m

Snapping a camera/spotlight to viewport.
This is something people in max/unreal will also understand (and by no means do i know how to use max really any better than blender im still a complete noob there too) but… you can take a spotlight/camera and tie it to your viewport, so as you rotate your viewport it will rotate the light/camera, so basically you can aim your viewport where you want the camera/light to go, now i do know how to do the reverse, snap a viewport to a camera/light, but if you move the viewport the camera/light remains set, and the only way to kinda do both is to split your viewport and move your camera from a 3rd person perspective. Is there a way to do this like I want? Where I can find a view i like in my viewport, then just add camera from that perspective? Or modify an existing camera in this way?
If I understand your description (annotated images are clearer then just text), parent the light to the camera. In the properties panel (N) enable ‘Lock Camera to View’, go to camera view

The last one about moving the camera… etc… I thought of a better way to explain.

Im not making an animation… but I dont want to “render viewport”

Instead i want to align my viewport to an area/view i like… then drop a camera exactly where my viewpoint is, pointed exactly where my viewpoint is, so that i can render fully from there.

Drag and Chase, so theres no real way to drag and chase on the currently selected object without going though the list of all the objects in the scene? Since im building a level prototype in blender i have alot of objects :frowning:

View lock to active. That’s shown in Richard’s screenshot even.

While im abusing this thread… how do i tell a specific material not to accept shadows without globally turning off shadows (using cycles and nodes)