Help needed for Motion trails Addon 2.8 update

I’ll take it over so please don’t remove it. I’ll create a task and stuff once I’m closer to feeling 100% on the way it functions and happy with the code. I know I forgot to remove some old stuff I commented out, the acceleration lines don’t draw properly and I need to figure out if the select event is correct.

3 Likes

It’s all good, it was one of the few I kept in that were broken. It appears I was waiting for you :wink: Take your time, it’s a 2.82 target, so we have around a month before we can act on release. I’ll keep an eye out for your task.

3 Likes

First of all, thank you so much for bringing this great addon to 2.8. It’s already pretty well worked when I animate objects, but I will be very delightful if it can be used with armature.
When I enabled this in Pose Mode, Blender just fleezed. I know this addon is not for Pose Mode, so is there any way to manipulate specific bones in Object Mode with this addon, or is there a posseblitiy of Pose Mode support in future update?

2 Likes

I agree, pose mode support would be the main apeal of the addon to me, I think this addon, if it gets more attention could really change the way we animate in blender, not replace the good ol graph editor, but still allow easy animation blocking and easy tweaking of timing. Yet it could serve as a great visual representation to see what is wrong with your animation. It’s kinda sad animation get kinda ignored by blender, but i guess it’s gonna be more adressed in later versions.

4 Likes

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t get to pose mode when I was working on this and the addon, in general, is definitely not complete. It’s on my list of things to test & fix.

2 Likes

Thank you for your great effort! I’m looking forward to be able to use this in pose mode. That should be epic…

1 Like

I did some work on the addon last night: I applied all my changes to the original code from the BAC repo(no pushes yet) and made it draw the gradient lines for Acceleration/Speed modes. Also fixed some bugs with matrix multiplication operators used in Python. I did verify the Pose mode hangs as soon as you have some keyframes and it tries to draw. That’s going to be fun to debug.

6 Likes

Well, it’s crashing on a pretty innocuous thing used everywhere in Blender addons, so I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and build 2.80 and debug Python because the old “print stuff until it fails” debugging method didn’t work out. I thought maybe a regression from T52524 was causing an exception to get swallowed and then it was stuck in an infinite loop but fixed that and it still hangs.

1 Like

this addon is a tough one, thanks for spending your time on it, hope you will locate the problem soon enough, are other people actively working on it? it seems you’re the one doing most of the stuff @obsurveyor

1 Like

As far as I know, it’s just me.

I think I may end up needing some help from a Blender developer that is more familiar with Python<->C++ and debugging. As far as I can tell, the bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode=‘EDIT’) that it crashes on finishes properly but then the Python interpreter just hangs(I believe it’s the Python interpreter because when I pause execution with the Visual Studio debugger, it says it can’t show me any traces because it’s in external code).

I need to test on a Linux box and I’m also going to try the latest 2.81/2.82 to see if maybe I can get a stack trace or anything different. If none of that goes anywhere, then I’m going to put up a task with my current code, a test blend file setup to crash and everything I’ve been able to determine and ask for help from a Blender dev.

2 Likes

okay if you need some help testing the addon when it will be in better state, don’t hesitate to ask me, being inexperimented at coding, that’s the only thing i can do to help you and show my support, this addon is kinda a dream for me I really wanna do what it takes to be able to use it, even if it means money.

Hope you’ll get some help from a blender developper, maybe ask someone who has worked with animation addons or animation code in blender, could really help you out.

1 Like

Hi. I am waiting for this great addon. And im ready to pay for it. “Pose mode” support will be great. When will you release this addon for 2.81? Thanks.

Sorry, it’s been real busy at work. I have a couple weeks off for Christmas starting next week and I plan on working on the Pose mode crash then. I don’t have an estimate when it will be available.

6 Likes

Hi! I just found out about this addon today and I’m very grateful that you got it working for 2.8x. I tried it and it works just as I expected, it’s awesome. If/when you manage to get it working for pose mode it’d be just perfect.

How long would it take for someone like me who knows zero Python to learn Python and fix the add-on so it works and doesn’t crash in 2.8/2.9?
And how long would it take for someone with experience?

I can’t get it to work on 2.83. I don’t see the tab in the viewport. I badly need this right now. I don’t want to have to go to Maya to do this. Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.

1 Like

I spent a lot of time trying to get this to fully work with 2.8 but it just hard crashes Blender and I couldn’t even figure out why with a debugger. I suggest using Editable Motion Trails 3D

5 Likes

Great! I’ll check it out. Tx

I can’t help i know nothing about coding :frowning:

Who do you think could do it?
Is Bart still doing code?

Check the link that @obsurveyor posted. That add-on does exactly the same thing.