Help needed with character's mouth modelling issues

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a couple of issues I’ve been with modelling the mouth of the character I’ve been working on recently.

With the first issue, I’ve been largely satisfied with the current state current of the model’s design except for these unsightly areas around the corners the areas of the mouth as highlighted in the picture shown below:

For reference’s sake, the character’s mouth should more resemble this:

dragonite

As for the other issue I’m having, I still need to model the interior of the character’s mouth but I’m not sure how to go about it.

I’m not looking to do anything fancy mind you but I’ve been having problems with trying the connect the upper and lower halves of the mouth from the interior.

Any help whatsoever in regard to either of these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Link to model:
model_help.blend (500.8 KB)

Hello,

There’s a ton of information on YouTube on face topology/retopology. Looks like you need more polygons around the mouth.

Here’s a video from FlippedNormals that might steer you in the right direction.

1 Like

Okay, I’m officially hopelessly lost :anguished:.

Since the overall design I’m going for is extremely simplistic, I thought that I should just start over again, focusing on the head first before moving on to rest of the body, instead of vice-versa like I did the first time around.

Unfortunately though, I just can’t seem to figure out how to go about making the head despite its simple design. On YouTube, I tried searching for tutorials for making dragons, dinosaurs, Pokemon, and wolves in the hope of finding some techniques that could be applied to my own creation process but to no avail.

I also tried searching for & downloading 3D models of creatures from other video games with a somewhat similar shape to reference, such as Dragonite from the Pokemon games:

But none of this has been able to help me with the actual step-by-step process of making the head; I just don’t know how to begin or how to proceed once I have started.

Please, I desperately need help as I have no idea on what I should now.

Hey I’m still a beginner myself but what if you start by applying the subdivision modifier? This way you will probably be able to see the real geometry of the mesh (if the subdivision is set to more than two, lower it for now)

Then it may be easier to replicate what is happening in the dragonite model, which is some sort of lip.

blender help dino 2

Try to cut it with the knife tool! I also usually see people making this triangle on the sides of the mouth so keep that in mind.

I hope it helps in something.

1 Like

Alright, I so heavily reworked the geometry of the head and it appears to have eliminated the problem.