Help, please...before i go mad.

I am an architect, ve been trying to use blender for archviz, lately i nearly gave up upon ARRAY Mod.
In surrounding world and Euklidean geometry there are 2 types of arrays:

1. rectangular
  2. circular
    I got no f…g idea how to make life harder w/it in Blender…((
    I DO REALLY spend lots of time on different tutorials but maybe am missing sth 'cause i just cant produce simple array !

Please advise some proven tutorial for (maybe?) dummies, theres lots of potential in Blender - i just need simple offsets, mirrors, arrays -simple transformations i can not define quickly and simply !!

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Array ?

Combine 2/3 modificators to make 2D or 3D arrays .

For a rectangular array you can use the array modifier in the modifiers tab, but for a circular array I choose to use the spin tool, and make duplicates. You can make circular arrays with the array modifier, but you have to use a reference object for this to work well.

For a rectangular array:

1. Select object you wish to array
  2. go to modifiers tab and add an array modifier
  3. set numbers of copies you wish to make and their offset distances in the direction you wish them to go.
  4. If you wish to add another array in another direction, create another array modifier for the same object and repeat above.

Modifiers are awesome in that you can change their values at any time, such as number, and offset, as long as you don’t “apply” them.

For radial array I use spin in edit mode.

1. select the object you wish to array
  2. place 3D cursor where you want the action center to be
  3. set the view to the correct orientation, your view point will create a “plane” in which the action will happen, so if it is supposed to happen on the ground choose a top orthagonal view.
  4. in the tool shelf, hit spin
  5. at the bottom of the tool shelf select the number of copies, set it to duplicate and the angle of the duplication.
  6. after the spin command, remove doubles

I won’t go into the radial array through the modifiers tab here, but if you want to know, just ask.

Of course these are simple approaches are there are more complex possibilities available.

Thanx a lot ! U saved also my family :wink:
BlenderGuru/Andrew Price makes an array also w/MOD. using EMPTY but (sorry) i dont get it.

1. A question: Blender has by default noun->verb command scheme ?
  2. What if an object is not aligned ortho to X,Y,Z ? Can I set new (my=user) origin (0,0,0) by eg. 3-points definition ?

PS. Does anybody manage the logics behind Blender’s UI ?..

If object is not aligned, create new Transform Orientation using N-tab Transform Orientations. That will be named based on local to object currently selected. To select that for transforms, choose it where usual Global, Local are. You need to use axis shortcut twice e.g GXX4 or RZZ45. 3D cursor location could be set just above, same tab.

I’ve seen software, where logic behind operations in the beginning seem even more confusing…

For array rotation Andrew Price used Centre of rotation defined by that Empty. On Array mod tab is field allowing to use any named object as a marker for Array’s centre point, also that objects scale(ing), rotation relates then to Array. Note that this object is different one, not the one arrayed, if that makes sense.

Would you be so kind to recommend some tutorial/link to get proper habits for Blender modelling?
Iam working on reconstruction of an early christian church -hopefuly i manage to figure it out in Blender…
(i use to work in Autocad/Archicad/Microstation/Accurender/Arc+ but… Blender logic REALLY surprises me so far :sunglasses:

Blender Cookie, An_introduction_to_BLENDER_3D ,
Blender Nerd,

Jonathan Williamson, David Ward - resources on Vimeo. Probably the best bunch to start with. Clean tutorials, well explained steps to achieve a goal.

Thanks A LOT !

ONE more question before i look into the tutorials:

Have already put the faces onto image floor plan of my ancient church, now trying to produce the columns(w/array) but CYLINDER Object i put states a part of the whole entities i made-what i done wrong and how to separate it ?

Not sure if I am following you, but if you are in edit mode are the vertices of the cylinder & the floor plan both visible? If so, they are the same mesh object. To separate them, select some vertices of the cylinder, press ctrl-L to select all linked vertices (all of the ones for the cylinder), then press p-key to separate and from the pop up menu choose -> by selection and that will separate the cylinder into a separate mesh object.

When working in blender, if you are in edit mode for a mesh and you add a new mesh, it becomes part of the mesh object that is active in edit mode. To create a separate mesh object, you need to be in object mode when you add the mesh.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Yes, thats the clue ->i must have created new objects still in Edit Mode. Thank you !

[QUOTE=ajm;2072568]For a rectangular array you can use the array modifier in the modifiers tab, but for a circular array I choose to use the spin tool, and make duplicates. You can make circular arrays with the array modifier, but you have to use a reference object for this to work well.

Well - looks clearly it aint no ARRAY, cause an ARRAY has rows and columns, ie. an array has got to be at least 2-Dimensional (X,Y), otherwise its just a polynomial? Or is it some deeper idea behind it ? :slight_smile: Anyway-thank you for clarification, it helps quickly.

What are you looking at? I was just wondering what this question was concerning for my own understanding… an array is just an ordering of things. As far as rectangular arrays yes they will have rows and columns as long as they are constrained in planar fashion, but they can also be offset.

@bluecd, from a programming sense it absolutely is an array. You might be confusing it with a “matrix” which is a rectangular(2D) array. But an array is at it’s basis one dimensional. An array of arrays would be two dimensional, and and array of those would be 3 dimensional. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Agree-logical. Maybe I am used to CAD style simple approach: rect- and circural array.
That modifier does not look however to me intuitive for array modelling - but thats only MHO(I grew-up on Autocad 12,14 and 3D Studio intuition ;-); thanx for explanation !

I get what you’re saying as I started with CADvance and AutoCAD R10 back when, but there were inputs for copies along x,y and distances as I remember. A lot of 3D software does it the same way, but in Blender there is a modifier used for each direction of the array. x,y and z have their own associated modifiers.

It is a hard transition for some to come from a CAD background into 3D content creation software. I still have a terrible habit of trying to be too exacting, when in reality I am creating the illusion. Of course there are times when exacting construction is required and you can still do that, but you have to step away from the CAD approach, since it is a different beast all together. Hang in there, be prepared to take a lot of deep breaths and dig into some studying materials, because you’ll be disappointed in trying to make direct translations from CAD to Blender or other 3D software.