Help-The Modeling Process-I just don't get it I guess XD

I was just browsing this thread and it got me to thinking about the modeling process. I just don’t understand it. Maybe that’s because this simply isn’t my talent, but I’d prefer to think that it’s just because I simply lack the knowledge.

That and PTKS’s Excalibur WIP thread have really made me want to understand how to do detailed modeling.

But, like I’ve said, I just don’t get it. :frowning:

Are there any modeling tutorials for Blender that show this level of detail?

There is nothing to ‘get’. It’s a simple matter of practice, refinement, patience and an attention to detail. I don’t think there is a step-by-step tutorial that tells you how to build a 3million polygon mesh.

Just keep practicing and eventually you’ll find yourself that good.

Lots of patience and attention to detail. Putting things on different layers can help. Using hide and unhide, view slice, expand and reduce selection. Planning ahead. Mostly patience. And, of course, a machine that can handle 3 million polys. How do you teach patience in a tutorial?

Ok well I should clarify before more posts arrive I guess.

I ddin’t mean to sound impatient, because I’m not. Unfortunately I’m in school right now and don’t have a lot of time to devot to practicing. I would like to take on some projects during the Christmas intercession.

I was just wondering if anyone could maybe explain a little about how to get so detailed. :slight_smile:

Just thought I should clarify in case anyone had the wrong idea. :slight_smile:

And my machine probably can’t handle 3 million polys. :o

Thanks

LC

Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow…well maybe vertice by vertice or pixel by pixel, still, just keep chugging on…

Adding small details isn’t too hard when you break your ideas down into basic shapes. I tend to use the loop cut tool (CTRL + R) a lot when adding things like windows or doors. Its all about manipulating the geometry to fit your needs for specific details later on in the modeling process.

Best of luck =)

Edit:

I took some screenshots of a quick window I made on an old house model to illustrate what I was talking about. Really, I should clean up the geometry a bit but this is just to show a quick example.

Step1
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Ven0mSeven/step1.jpg

Step2
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Ven0mSeven/step2.jpg

Step3
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/Ven0mSeven/step3.jpg

Here’s what it looks like when its all done.

Not exactly the best window ever but I think you can grasp what im talking about. =)

Pre planning helps. I’ve been doing this for a couple of months and I notice that the more preparation you have going in the easy and faster you can add/edit details. Planning it more also makes it more believable.

It’s not a lie when they say, practice, practice, practice. But I also know that saying practice tells a person absolutely nothing. The person is left to figure things out intuitively, and as a result, the person adopts the practice, practice, model themselves.

So, the easiest way to get good fast is to work one on one with some who knows how to explain what they do. Over the internet aint gonna help too much:ba:. If working with some one directly isn’t an option, you can go with dvds and internet tutorials. Visuals in motion combined with tactile interaction, and guided audio produce the fastest results in terms of learning. For this reason, I’d say go with the dvds or a human.

There is nothing to get about progress. It just is. You can no more comprehend it than you can comprehend… well… pretty much anything.

I’d like to add: Study as much as you can about art. All of it.

I finally understood by just starting a massive project. Even if you never finish it, you still learn from how you made it.

I personally made a Stargate, and now I’m working on a Dalek.

Thanks all for the replies. Very informative. Hopefully I’ll get around to starting something when the semester’s over.

One thing that has frustrated me about Blender was the way it divides meshes triangularly. It screws up the geometry and makes it hard to do anything else because once you’ve done that one operation everything else is too screwed up to do more work. :frowning:

I think that’s my biggest hurdle. This also happens with edge loops; it chops a whole object in half or something, where I wish I could do like in Maya and just arbitrarily make edges and not have it do dastardly things to the mesh. But maybe that’s what ngons are, and no one here seems to like ngons. :evilgrin: lol

Oh, and I never thought about planning a project lol. Good advice. I guess because I never attempted huge projects, only like vehicles that I thought I could do quickly, if Blender’s mesh editing system wasn’t a pain. :frowning:

this is a monkey.
http://www.patentmonkey.com/PM/Portals/0/ThinkingMonkey.jpg
look at the monkey
experince the monkey
learn from the monkey
feel the monkey
taste the money
date the monkey
dance with the monkey
run for president with the monkey
be the monkey,
now… model the monkey
http://www.patentmonkey.com/PM/Portals/0/ThinkingMonkey.jpg

Cor the Monkey is cool - did you make it ?

One of the main reasons people here don’t like ngons much is because they dont deform well and are not very practical for animation. It’s better to try and work around your problem rather than use ngons, it will lead to better modeling habits because you have to force the edge loops to flow the way you want them to.

Keep practicing =)

I find it easier to start with a mechanical model first, they are easier to model in general and can be made detailed by simply adding primitive shapes. Try model a 10million poly battle tank. :smiley:

I see. Will do. :slight_smile:

One way around that particular problem is select all the edges you want to be subdivided. So, to cut a cube in half down the middle, you would select all the edges along the middle.

By the way, the next release has ngons, but I’m in a 3D class, and they say to avoid ngons when possible, even though the packages support it (Maya and Max).

The NEXT release?! :eek: You mean 2.5 or whatever it will be next has the BMesh system?

I was under the impression that that would take a while to implement. :confused:

It will take a while for 2.50 to be released.

So are you saying then BMesh will be in 2.5?:confused:

I assume we’re talking about 2.5 here. :smiley:

As far as I know, it will be.

It’s not 2.5 as in “two point five” it’s 2.50 as in “two point fifty”

The way to get better at detailed modelling is to not do detailed modeling at first. Start out doing simpler stuff. Then you’ll be able to take that and add more detail to it. then you can add more detail. After a few things like that you’ll be adding more and more detail than you ever thought you’d be able to. Just gotta start small and work smart. Don’t worry about the detail as much as the topology and the way the mesh looks. Try to keep your mesh neat and you’ll find it easier to add more detail later on.