Help/tips with non-manifold problems for 3d printing

Hi there,

This is my first post here so first let me tell a little bit about myself. My name is Gossen and I live in the Netherlands. I’ve been using Blender on and off for quite some time. For the last couple of months I have been using Blender for modelling for 3d printing. I am using version 2.82 atm.

I am struggling a bit with a model I am designing for 3d printing. It is a nozzle for irrigating my garden. After I apply the solidify modifier there are some problem areas. I think there are faces going into each other but I don’t know how to avoid this when modelling before applying the solidify.

Can someone give me any tips so I can fix this and avoid these kinds of issues in the future?

Any help is appreciated.

If you need more info please let me know (as a first time member I can’t upload more images). Thanks.

Link to Blend file: https://send.firefox.com/download/8966f6f788370d13/#pI9AiiY7IuCRR5QTTbu7Og

GreetZ Gossen

You are working with faces only. They don’t have a volume though could not be manifold.
your main issue is the loop of vertices (the second ring of vertices from bottom in your image) which are the connection from inner to outer part of your nozzle.
Just select this ring of vertices, V for split them, separate two objects from loose parts and edit every object separately - there are also some normal issues within your model (weired shading of some faces).
Then after cleaning up these models your can boolean unify them. And then - if you need - subdivide it.

Thanks you for your reply. I was afraid of that. I always try to avoid working with separate objects for 3d printing. The boolean union modifier sometimes gives me (after applying it) different non-manifold problems. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.