[HELP] Using a Curve, Array & Curve Modifier on a mesh.

I’m trying to create a stone “tiled” doorway.

I’ve used the array and curve modifier on a corner piece to move it around my curve.

My main issue is that when in edit mode the corner piece is at an angle, when attached to the curve it turns sideways. So I’ve rotated it to look okay, but its a mess to deal with in edit mode.

I assume this is something to do with origins, but for the life of me I can’t work out how to “set” it to the correct angle.

If this is some kind of super easy fix, I have two other issues:

The Curve

The curve doesn’t seem “uniform” the bend appears a little skewed, while the vertex of each curve is positioned relative to the other, the curve doesn’t seem to follow it uniformly, I assume there is a setting to adjust this but can’t seem to find it.

Mesh Positioning

I wanted the first and last copy of the mesh to be aligned to the "floor", but it seems to end a little short, or not automatically "fit" to the curve. I've adjusted it but obviously its likely to end up being a little off and I would imagine there is an easy way to fix this. Perhaps its all down to the origin problem I have.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide.

Attachments

door frame stone.blend (460 KB)

If there is a problem constructing curve - use one converted from mesh, Alt-c.
Scales and rotations need to be applied for both objects while in Object mode - Ctrl-A.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/36334

Thank you for the response.

I guess I understand you’re saying to create the curve from a mesh, as the mesh isn’t creating a “clean” half circle at the top, though this really feels like there must be a way to edit the curve. So in this instance I’d create a plane and a circle, cut the circle in half, join the plane, rotate them and turn them into a curve?

Ctrl A and apply scale and rotation doesn’t fix this issue for me, the orientation is still wrong in edit mode and moving the mesh in either means: up (z) is forward, forward (x) is up, out (y) is in. Its actually the same on your example file, though in edit mode your stone is orientated correctly at least (though xyz is still moving in the “wrong” direction).

In your example file, the stones also stop short of the end of the curve, they don’t “fill” to the end.

Thanks for any additional help

No planes here, just a half circle points. Select two end vertices and extrude.

As to the positions, rotations and such. It’s almost as hard as to get Solar system in one line: each involved object has local and global orientation (you can switch on local axis representation on Object tab, Display). Then there is Array modifier you can grow on x, y or z. Curve modifier you can set to follow x, y or z and in addition to all this there is Curve Tilt (Ctrl-T) which will rotate modified objects. When and if all that is set properly… Hope you get the picture now.

Curves. I rarely use anything besides Beziers, wont comment on other types.
When you add default Bezier curve handles are rotated and they have different lengths. To clear rotations you can Scale y 0 as soon as you enter edit mode or switch type to Vector and back to Auto on toolshelf Curve Tools, Handles; handles still are different lengths if scale was used and equal lengths if type change was used. If you select all and W Subdivide curve one point is added in the middle of Curve. Whats left is move middle point one blender unit on Y axis. If handles on enpoints are scaled x 0 you get symmetric shape which is not a half circle yet.
I would expect that if handles on all points were 1/2 blender unit i had half a circle. See image - circle and curve, same origin.
Anyhow, extrude endpoints and you have same shape as if you had used curve converted from mesh.
IMHO curve from mesh is less involving, YMMV.

One way to get it fill the whole curve is to enable stretch and bounds clamp in object data (curve) properties.

Although I would start the whole thing by making the directions make sense first
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?342302-Deform-mesh-along-curve&p=2681963&viewfull=1#post2681963