help wanted with fire hydrant

hey everyone new to this forum. certain things i really just want to get down so i dont have future problems… this is one of them. just made a quick mockup to demonstrate my problem.

i want to make the cylinders attached to the main piece naturally. so it doesnt just look like its floating there but molded onto it. ive tried lots of things but it looks really bad or kinda glitchy (borlean tool) ok thanks so much

Attachments

bumping topic was near bottom once it was approved

Post the .blend file, it would be easier to show you without having to model the whole thing over.

Attachments

CC.blend (370 KB)

oh wow thanks for that link thats magic… never thought of something like that. you helped me big time. just wondering, on step 4 with the circle cut out piece surrounding the cylinder, how do i do that part. something with borlean?

also what do you mean post the .blend file. didnt you just show me what to do? you still want me to post something

start with boolean, set it to difference, then clean it up, select the hole, and extrude it.

also, selecting the ring when done, and doing CTRL B to bevel it gives it a nice look.

Shrink wrap modifier.

Nah, you don’t have to post it as long as you understand the process.

Go look at an actual hydrant. Notice carefully how it is made, and where the outlet pipes are positioned. Don’t try to do it from memory.

Booleans are a sensible way to approach the basic modeling of the body. Shove one cylinder through another.

The body of the hydrant is a single iron casting, so there will naturally be bevels where the surfaces join.

Pragmatically speaking, “subsurf” will take you most of the way to where you want to go with this model.

ok thanks a lot for your demonstration file you saved me a lot of pain. ive tried a certain image board for help and it doesnt usually go so well. with your help ive figured out this problem

Go look at an actual hydrant. Notice carefully how it is made, and where the outlet pipes are positioned. Don’t try to do it from memory.

Booleans are a sensible way to approach the basic modeling of the body. Shove one cylinder through another.

The body of the hydrant is a single iron casting, so there will naturally be bevels where the surfaces join.

Pragmatically speaking, “subsurf” will take you most of the way to where you want to go with this model.

yeah but its for video games im hoping. so i cant use sub division for the main model

start with boolean, set it to difference, then clean it up, select the hole, and extrude it.

yeah boolean tool was the first thing i tried but everything seemed to glitchy. i tried clicking your link and it didnt work

but ok guys im good for now i got this problem solved

edit nvm delete

hey this isnt mine obviously but got any tips on how he did the thing ontop and at the bottom with the vertical intrusions? i know its easy to do that with sub division but i want to do the main model without it. same kind of idea what we did with the cylinders attaching from the side right

ill try doing it on my own for now and let you know. im guessing im going to utilise that thing where your duplicate circles around the mesh nicely

Attachments