Help with 2.35 particle deflection

Can someone help me get particle deflection to work in 2.35. All I seem to be able to get is some kind of force field when I select deflection. Is this a bug or am I missing something? I’m pretty sure it worked in 2.34.

–will

I think I know what you are talking about. It looks like the particles slow down and are repelled by the deflector, doesn’t it?

Increase the ‘Keys’ on the particle settingsfrom the 8 to a higher number (Try 15-20). This kind of corresponds to the ‘resolution’ of the deflection, similar to the Resol U-V settings for curve’s and NURB’s.

Try increasing this until the interaction looks the way you need it. Bear in mind that, like increasing the resolution of a NURB surface, things get more computational difficult when you raise this Key setting.

Ben

PS Anyone who really knows what the Keys correspond to, feel free to join in :slight_smile:

If I may. Keys means Keyframes. Particles in Blender works this way: Blender runs the whole simulation and records keyframe at a regular interval in the lifetime of each particle. Then, when playing back, it interpolates between them. More keyframes means more memory hungry, but a more precise simulation (especially when the particles path are not smooth). More keys is not always better. Depending on the particles simulation, there’s always a threshold value where adding more keys only makes it gulps more memory and not enhancing the motion in any way.

Martin

Ah thanks, that worked. Upped it to around 50, I just don’t remember ever doing that before. Cheers

If I may. Keys means Keyframes. Particles in Blender works this way: Blender runs the whole simulation and records keyframe at a regular interval in the lifetime of each particle. Then, when playing back, it interpolates between them. More keyframes means more memory hungry, but a more precise simulation (especially when the particles path are not smooth). More keys is not always better. Depending on the particles simulation, there’s always a threshold value where adding more keys only makes it gulps more memory and not enhancing the motion in any way.

Martin[/quote]

Is there a dependable way to know when that threshold has been crossed?

Experience. :expressionless:

Martin

Experience. :expressionless:

Martin[/quote]

I was afraid of that 8)