Help with a possible rigging script?

I was wondering if I could get some help from one of you wonderful Python scripters with an idea I had for fitting an animation rig to different meshes…:confused:
This may not even be possible but here goes the idea:
I’d like to have a script that would add a collection of nulls in the places where the joints of the rig are located. It would resemble a human form. The user would then drag the nulls to the appropriate joint, elbow, wrist, ankle, etc., then have the script move the corresponding bone to the location of the null. When done, the nulls should then be removed. Does this sound feasible?
If you think this is viable and would like to offer up some help, PM me and let me know what you think.
Thanks

My peripheral knowledge of the API tells me that it likely is possible, but a little more detail would be required to get the proper behavior-

1.)Should you get a completely new armature or should you manipulate the existing one?

2.)Should the bones be moved in Pose mode or Edit mode?

Please look at the image here to make sure the flow and general idea of the script is about right (image is a little wide, sorry):
http://gamulabs.freepgs.com/blends/scripts/scriptfn.png

(or .jpg if your into that: http://gamulabs.freepgs.com/blends/scripts/scriptfn.jpg)

Also there may be some way to get this functionality without needing a script, you’d just need to manually move/snap bones, which is what I guess your trying to avoid right? Its always a bummer to code something thats already there…

You mentioned PMing, but I believe its probably better to keep the script discussion public so that if somebody decides to code it they’ll know all the details, unless this is really intended to be a private script for a private production or something like that…

Depending on how my work load comes out, its possible (BIG maybe) I could attempt to tackle this over the weekend and continue to whittle away at it later, if another generous scripter doesn’t get to it before then.

it may be usual if it can automaticly set up fan bones

forTe, thanks for the reply!

• 1.)No, I was thinking we could use the rig I made.
  • 2.) Edit mode.Your Image is right on the mark! It shows exactly what I want to do.
    Yes, it can be done manually, but I thought a script may automate the process. Not that I’m avoiding it. Well yes that would be the purpose. It does involve moving and snapping dozens of bones, and since there is only one cursor to snap with, it does get old. That’s why I thought of using empties like having a bunch of 3d cursors and snap everything at once.
    I wouldn’t want to throw a bummer on you though.:no: I don’t know what to say here…I suppose instead of me having a bummer, I am asking for you to have one…it’s not really fair of me to ask is it? I could sweeten the pot a little…I’ve got ten or twelve bucks in a paypal account I could donate to the cause. A grand amount I know! Beer or pizza money though, could be?
    No need to PM I suppose. I just didn’t want to pollute the bandwidth here with my dumb ideas if they wouldn’t really work anyway. It’s not a private production or anything.
    This weekend (big MAYBE) would be great! But no hurry though! There’s no timetable so if you get a chance, just whenever :smiley:
    BTW, you can get the rig and check it out here:
    http://home.windstream.net/collinsfamily04/blenderpage.html
    Thanks again for the consideration!
    PS: How do you get a space between paragraphs using this reply text box?

Good News! This is much more likely possible and I have somewhat of a working prototype already (nowhere near usable without a lot of work, so its not really worth showing yet).

I’ll keep those functionalities that you wanted in mind (and in the script ;)), but may add some other options, just because. Nice idea with the empties by the way, I’ll have to see exactly how they work out (there may be some restrictions on names of objects in the scene, there may not be. Hopefully there will be no restrictions within a couple of revisions).

I wouldn’t want to throw a bummer on you though.:no: I don’t know what to say here…I suppose instead of me having a bummer, I am asking for you to have one…it’s not really fair of me to ask is it? I could sweeten the pot a little…I’ve got ten or twelve bucks in a paypal account I could donate to the cause. A grand amount I know! Beer or pizza money though, could be?

Trust me, this is not a bummer compared to some of the other things I have to do this week. And I was more referring to coding a feature that was already hard coded in Blender. Its always kind of harsh to start coding something and then find out that its already there.

No need for reimbursement or anything (since I’m not on a time schedule or whatever), and besides I try to do as much of my work for the Blender community and its members for free and in the spirit of Blender.

This weekend (big MAYBE) would be great! But no hurry though! There’s no timetable so if you get a chance, just whenever :smiley:
Sweet, but procrastination/apathy is in my blood so I best not lose interest…

BTW, you can get the rig and check it out here:
http://home.windstream.net/collinsfamily04/blenderpage.html

Thanks, I might use that to test the script when its further along, so I don’t have to embarrass myself with my own rigs…:o

Thanks again for the consideration!
PS: How do you get a space between paragraphs using this reply text box?
No problem, and to put space between paragraphs just press enter a time or two until you’re where you want to be…

Thank you so much!
Put whatever ideas you have in mind right in there! I remember a mel script that created armatures for various characters. Had a neat little GUI where after you picked the number of arms and legs, wings or tail or not, it would generate the bones and the second step, was similar to what I am requesting here, you then dragged nulls or something like that to the locations of the joints. It was something like that, it’s been a long time ago…Just firing your imagination there.:wink:

No problem, and to put space between paragraphs just press enter a time or two until you’re where you want to be…

Man! I thought I was doing that, but obviously I was not pressing enter enough…d’oh!:o

Oh I see now, if you hit enter once, it looks like in the reply box you have double spaced it, but in the preview, it’s only one line feed. You have to hit enter twice to get an empty line…

See…

I can do it…

I feel so powerful now…

:spin:

A little update for you…

I got to this over the weekend and I’m currently working some bugs out of it and working on a GUI. There are a couple of things left to do with working some bugs out, especially concerning how empties are related to their respective joints.

It’s a little too buggy to release right this second, but I should have a version up by the end of the week or this next weekend.

Cool! I can’t wait to have a look. If you need some artwork for the gui let me know…

Wow forTe, that is amazing. I don’t know enough to make use of it yet, but when I saw your video, I was very impressed. Same for your comments regarding why you did all that work. Now that I’ve already admitted I don’t know enough to use it, might I suggest the addition of 2 ‘general’ nulls, 1 for upper body, 1 for lower, that will control all nulls respectively. I.e., upper body general null, dragged forward, pulls the head forward, the arms extend, the torso bends forward, the shoulders, etc - each within it’s own constraint boundaries, so that by the time the shoulders are extended fully, the arms are fully outstretched. Does that make sense? Sorry if I’m completely missing the point. Anyway, thanks for your contribution to the Blender community. :slight_smile:

Did I miss a link? I didn’t see a video…:frowning: