Help with Blender > After Effects EXR compositing workflow

Hi!

I’m trying to match colours from Blender Eevee with After Effects using EXR files. I’m not sure, if I have layers set up right with right blending modes or I’m selecting wrong project settings. Currently, I managed to match the overall colours/glow, but background brightness does not match.

My current settings are in Blender:

• Eevee
  • Filmic
  • Medium High Contrast

After Effects:

• 32 bits, sRGB IEC61966-2.1 working space
  • ExtractoR effect + OpenColorIO effect on each layer (I’m using tips from this YouTube video)

Layers Order + Modes:

• Bloom - Add
  • Emission - Screen
  • Ambient Occlusion - Darken
  • Gloss Direct - Add
  • Gloss Color - Linear Burn
  • Diffuse Color - Darken
  • Diffuse Direct - Normal

Here are screenshots that will show you my current results - it is close, but grey background in Blender is much brighter in AE. Does this mean my Gamma in AE is wrong? Or should I “tone down” one of the layers?

I’m kind of going in the circles at the moment and not getting any closet to final result. Any help would be much appreciated. I want to make sure I am using the right workflow in this project, as I will be using Blender + AE more and more.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Never use Filmic. Use standard instead.

Oh wow this might have been the problem. I did try another export and played with blending modes in AE and results are about 1%-1.5% or so difference in brightness - I posted screengrabs as well. Much closer to what I had in the previous set up. Thank you so much!

I changed blending modes in AE to:

• Bloom - Classic Color Dodge
  • Emission - Screen
  • Ambient Occlusion - Darken
  • Gloss Direct - Linear Dodge
  • Gloss Color - Color Burn
  • Diffuse Color - Darker Color
  • Diffuse Direct - Normal

Operations to reconstruct your beauty pass are just plus (Linear Add in Adobe softwares) or multiply. There’s more detailed information in Blender manual. Some render engines have different setups, but there’s always mencioned in their respectives documentations.

Passes: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/layers/passes.html

You can check this EXR-IO Plugin Photoshop tutorial about combining render passes, same applies to After Effects:

Ahh so thats what charts with + and X on Cycles/Eevee mean. I saw them a while ago and couldn’t figure out what they mean/how to read them.

Now this makes it more clear now. Thank you Lucas. Much appreciated.

Hi! I can’t get this to work in AE, do you by any chance know how? I can provide futher information :slight_smile:

Sorry, I really don’t know AE.