Help with Blender and Textures

I am new to blender, but not 3D software. I’ve used AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and Katia for engineering projects (am student still). I’ve never had to deal with textures or other 3D CAD software, besides the ones I mentioned until I wanted to try my hand at game model modding…

Okay, so the game I wanted to try to mod was World of Tanks. The modding community have written a plug-in for Blender to import/view and edit the in-game models directly from the game files. After fiddling with the models a bit I exported a couple OBJ files and then tried importing them back…

Here is my problem, when I import back the OBJ files I exported, they are pink and textureless.

I have looked at the mtl files and they all point to the correct .dds texture files but they don’t seem to import and appear. I have toggled all modes; object mode etc, and render modes texture, material, etc yet they just appear pink and textureless…

So I even tried exporting the .png files and tried applying them, but they still appear pink and textureless. I attribute this to my lack of knowledge on Blender… am I missing a step, am I supposed to export the .dds files instead?! Could it be the plug-in? The plug-in unpacks the .pkg files from the game that contain the texture and game models, which could be a problem for Blender associating the .dds files that are packed into the .pkg files. They seem to be created temporarily when you open a game model…

Any ideas or help?