Help with Comic Panel Concept

Hey all.
First of all, I’ve only been using blender for just over 6 months now. I’ve been learning a lot, but there is still a lot I don’t know. If there is a good tutorial that covers this topic, please let me know.

My goal is to create a comic panel that masks out the character while having a background of its own. I want the camera to be able to move around the panel to show things like the characters leaping out of it, for example.

I would also like an inky looking frame for the edge of the panel. That part isn’t as necessary, but it would be really neat if I could add that as a feature.

My questions are:

1. How do I make a square where the inside can be seen, but the outside masks out the character model.

2. How can I change the outside of the panel to look like ink? My idea is to just add a grease pencil line over the top of the panel shape, but if there are any better methods please let me know.

AFAIK the grease pencil does work in 3D so you may draw you panel in 3D or you make it in real geometry (subdivided box with no front) and do some different sculpts on that?? Maybe experimenting with a procedural displacment map to make every panel having a differnent form… maybe also scaling the back of the panel to have a slight perspepctive box and UV-projecting the drawing onto that 3D-panel… the masking part may have to have a holdout material…

1 Like

I think you may find inspiration in Pumpkin Mage
And especially in the behind-the-scenes which include an explanation how the effect was achieved: https://www.blendernation.com/2021/02/22/behind-the-scenes-pumpkin-mage/

1 Like

Thank you so much, this is exactly the effect I was looking for.

1 Like