Help with exporting please.

Hi all!

I’m having a bit of a weird problem. This is probably just me missing something.

I’m trying to export a model into .3ds format.

When I render the model in Blender, everything looks fine, but when I export it, and view it another application, some parts of the model are missing.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing it, and, if applicable, how to correct them?

The model that i’m using was not made by me. I’m just modifying it.
Oh, and i’ve added some ‘empty’ entities to facilitate moving parts of the model more easily via parenting, in case that matters.

JamesRobinson59281,

Just a thought - in edit mode, select all verts and ctrl-n recalculate normals outside.

Best of Luck!!

I just tried that, but unfortunately it didn’t work.
Is there anything else I could try?

I just tried exporting ONLY the individual part (an arm) of the model that wasn’t appearing.
What could cause it to be hidden from view in an external rendering engine such as biturn or Blitz3d, but visible in the blender render itself? Or is it a problem with the exporting?

JamesRobinson59281,

Does the other app you are trying to import into have the ability to import .obj files?

Yes, I’m using the freeware program “biturn” as a model viewer and converter, and it does indeed have the ability to import and view .obj files.

I’ve tried exporting as .obj from blender, and some parts of the model are still not visible.

Why do you ask?

Edit:
Also, I just added even more “empty entities” to my model, and they don’t appear to have caused more of a problem. This makes me think I could resolve this problem by starting work on the arm again. What do you think?

JamesRobinson59281,

I’m not familiar with Biturn, I just thought that if 3ds format wouldn’t work, another format might.

I must admit, I’m at a loss as to why parts aren’t showing up when exported. Another thought, are all of the parts actually one object? If they are not one object, when exporting are you exporting “Selection Only”?

I have never exported anything to 3ds format, but I have used obj exporter, and haven’t had any problems with any surfaces missing.

Well, the 3ds exporter seems to only export “selection only” by default, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to change it. Yes, they’re separate objects.

It’s a very weird problem. I’m taking an object from another model (from a 3ds file), deleting the parts I don’t want, exporting it to 3ds format then loading it back into blender.
The odd thing is that I render the part in biturn before I put it back into blender, and it works fine, but then when I export it from blender, the object that I just imported doesn’t appear.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Perhaps you can test out WRML format and DXF