help with fluid animation

(shannonhochkins) #1

ok… my goal is to have water constantly coming out of a tap a filling up a fish tank with a turtle in it…
this is what i have so far:

ok so i have made my turtle and the tap… but am having problems with the fluid simulation… if anyone can help me on how to make it look realistic or tips for anything like texturing… please let me know would be greatly appreciated…

cheers…

0 Likes

(Anthony) #2

Chuck a sphere in the bit of the tap pointing down and make it an inflow object. Give it a negative Z starting vector value or whatever its called. Make sure the turtle is a collision object thing.

0 Likes

(shannonhochkins) #3

yeah i already trried that … but the watter was coming through the tap it self… like out the sides and things…

is there a way to make it so the water just dripps streght down and fills up the tank… well obviously there is a way… but if some one can help… cheers…

0 Likes

(Anthony) #4

Does the tap model have thickness? Try recalculating the normals. Up the resolution and also try changing the collision thing to “init shell” and see if that helps.

0 Likes

(shannonhochkins) #5

hi…
normals are good… by collision do you mean obsticle.??
when changing the - z vectors… do i make it big or small/?
but it’s sorta working but still coming out of the tap…
thanks for helping…
cheers.

0 Likes

(Anthony) #6

I dunno about one but it depends on the scale of your scene and how fast you want it to come out. Obsticle is what it is but there is a thing that is all collisiony and stuff I dunno ignore this sentence. Try uploading the blend file and then someone might be able to help with the water going through the tap

0 Likes

(enhzflep) #7

Hey there,

I just did a tap the other week, specifically for the purpose of working out how to turn water on and off at will, so I could fill up both 1/2’s of a kitchen sink without getting any water on the bench.

I found just like that the best spot to put the water into your tap is the last 1/2 inch before the water comes out. as for water coming through the sides? I just scaled the emitter until the water no longer came through the tap. When this reduced the flow rate too much, I just scaled the emitter so it was taller and had more volume but no more width - voila!!! More water, but not in a thicker, slow plume. This lead me to also discover that the amount of flow can be controlled by scaling the emitter, ok, logical enough… I probably could have read it somewhere if I’d looked.

But it’s not real good for turning the tap on and off quickly without reducing flow to a dribble first. You can select the fluid or the emitter, I forget - and there’s a channel called active. if it’s above zero the fluid flows in, if it’s below the fluid doesn’t inflow. simple.

As for the -Z values, that’s just speed in meters per second. Something will be going at 9.8 m/s, 1 second after it started falling - this is one ‘G’. That said, just go with whatever looks best, fluids are always something of a juggling act, I find.

I can mail you the sink-test I did if you want it. Nice modeling too, by the way. Love the tap especially - reminds me very much of 60’s britain for some strange reason.

S.

0 Likes

(shannonhochkins) #8

yes please mate that would help i think :)…

thanks heaps for your feedback…
[email protected]

cheers… you were alot of help

0 Likes

(enhzflep) #9

Cool mate, no worries.

Just added some comments to the file now, it’ll be in your inbox shortly.

Simon.

0 Likes

(shannonhochkins) #10

thanks so much again… gratttee help… cheers.
shanon

0 Likes

(shannonhochkins) #11

one more thing lol… for some reason the file came out all wacked lol… might bne because you are using linux… pretty cool but… how did you make the tap swing like that… thats pretty impressive…
cheers.

0 Likes

(enhzflep) #12

Came out all whacked?!? As in the fluid sim needed to be rebaked?

The tap - if you go to top view and view in ortho mode and with just a wireframe, you can see that the object center for the tap is in the middle of the vertical part that goes through the bench-top.

So, if we rotate the tap now it rotates around this point. You just place your 3d cursor where you want the center of rotation, select the object then hit F9 and hit the center cursor button.

As for the liquid following the tap’s movement - it’s just parented to the tap - after the tap’s pivot point has been set… I had tried placing the rotation point for the emitter at the same position as the tap’s - but there were problems with this: if I wanted to scale the emitter, it scaled about the rotation’s center - not the center of the emitter itself. Secondly, anything I keyed the tap to do, I then had to go back and repeat for the emitter - not cool. So, it’s just parented.

S.

0 Likes