help with graphics

Im working on a sea scene, but its getting very hard to set up I want to make it look realistic but so far its a very hard task to accomplish so someone have a tip or something constructive to say to help me make my scene look better?
I dont know maybe change the collors, I ll add some particles to it aswell, but I dont know how to make it look good and dont increase too mutch the processment of the scene.

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/1958/seayr.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Unless this is a game, you may have better luck in the focused crit forum (a mod will be along shortly…)

There needs to be more shading, shadow, AO. Use alpha planes to make light shafts coming through the waves. The underwater scene is very brightly lit while the water surface looks moon-lit. I’d also add some mist too.

ok this is a game, the ao I ll use later this is just the basic scene, do you have any idea how to make those lights look good? I have mist and about the brightness you are right, I ll change it! I ll post the new image next

OK I changed the brightnesse of the scene and I removed those anemones they where uggly, I ll create new ones with more details

Is those light pattern anemated? In that case I think this already looks impressive. But I would add more mist, and if You use glsl I would try to create a mist thats darker ‘downwards’ and lighter ‘upwards’.

how can I make this mist on GLSL?

I made a node based one once… But thats have to be done for each material and is a bit tedious. I think I saw someone making mist with a 2D filter - (or 2.5D, using z dept)… But I have no clue about how.

uhmmm,thanks Lah if someone knows how this script please let me know, I ll update the scene in some minutes, I m just modeling a new anemone for the back.

8O - No way! That’s pretty impressive, leonn - you’re always making impressive demos, man! I think that LaH is correct that the mist would be a good idea. Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to do this… You could try, say, using additive planes that are around the camera (perhaps UV or Icospheres). Give these additive planes a gradient, and make many of them, spaced out a bit - that might give you the effect you’re looking for. Also, some light rays coming from the surface of the water and a bloom filter would make this look exceptional.

now I changed the anemone to a new and better one I ll work on the light streaks right now, thanks solar lune I ll work on the mist later as soon as I find a way to make the light streaks I ll post here for you guys help me, thanks so far.
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5504/sea2.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

someone knows how to make and texture with alpha to fade out( from almost trasnparent to completely transparent) on GLSL? I m having problems with that on blender 2.57 since looks like that I can only animate the ztransp while the alpha on the texture setings doesnt animated on real time.
Please this ll be a very important step for me if someone knows how to make it please let me know!

I think that animating alpha transparency (by hovering the cursor over the alpha setting and pressing I to make a keyframe) works only if you animate the color too (by having at least 1 keyframe for color). Alternatively, you can use Python to animate the alpha through the obj.color property.

can you help me with that solarlune? on 2.49 it works but on 2.57 I just cant make it work!!! this is the texture, If you can help. http://www.mediafire.com/?6w2fi8662m3g87b

Hey It’s looking better! Still I can’t tell if this is lit by the moon or the sun. I’d change the mist to a green/grey color (or keep it blue) as well as any underwater lights, the mist needs to lessen the higher it goes. The light on the surface should spread and blur. If you’re trying to animate the transparency for the light shafts you could instead have them randomly rotate on one axis to give them the appearance of changing width and fading in and out.

Sorry, I misunderstood you, leonn - You were asking how to fix the actual image not changing alpha on the plane, right?

Here’s a fixed image and comparison blend file. Tell me if the download doesn’t work. What you needed to do was edit the alpha layer mask of the image and make a gradient out of it. I used GIMP. After I set the alpha of the plane in Blender to 0 and set the image to influence the Alpha of the plane, it showed up fine. You made a great texture, leonn. Great job.

Original’s on the left, and the modified image is on the right.

I was asking for the animation, to make this semitrasparent image in 2 seconds for example became completely transparent. I dont know how to make this work on 2.57. About your file I cant download it.
The texture was made By Aindan I asked him for it and he let me use it, this wasnt done by me.
alaseridan, I changed the ilumination and the water now is mutch more realistic, but Im having trouble with this alpha animation, I want to setup the whole scene to send you guys, but I need to:
Find a way to make the animation with that image
Animate the fishs and the medusa
Make the mist look decent.

Thanks a lot for your help so far guys, its making me improve the scene a lot.
Solar Lune should be designed as a moderator since he s allways trying to help us out!
thanks again, now I ll go sleep on my contry its kind of late.

Aha - thanks. Here’s the example blend file. Sorry that I misunderstood you again - This one should be exactly what you want. I use a short Python script to modulate the ending alpha of the object, since the material alpha’s being set by the texture.

This was exactly what I wanted SolarLune thanks, can you help with another thing?, to instead of just make it desapier, can you help me to make this script to make the object fade in and then fade out? If you could explain how the script works and how to change it I ll be glad to try myself!

from bge import logic
cont = logic.getCurrentController()
obj = cont.owner #this part is where you are say that the variable obj= the controler that owns the script
if not ‘init’ in obj: # this part I didnt understand!
obj[‘init’] = 1 # this I dont know what does
obj.color = [1, 1, 1, 1] # here you give the values to the object colors
color = obj.color # here you make the variable color = obj.color
color[3] -= (2.0 / logic.getLogicTicRate()) # Fade out over two seconds#here you take the third value of the variable(the last one) and tells python tha if that value is lower than 2.0[this value I didnt understand exactly I know if I change it the fade ll take longer] divided by logic.getLogicTicRate that maybe is an internal function of blender to countdown the delay
obj.color = color# this one I didnt understand

Can you tell me if what I think of those are are right and explain me what the other ones that I dont know represent, I want to learn python but Im an idiot!

from bge import logic
cont = logic.getCurrentController()
obj = cont.owner #this part is where you are say that the variable obj= the controler that owns the script

• no, obj is the game object that owns the controller.
    if not ‘init’ in obj: # this part I didnt understand!
  • Check if the init property don’t exists
    obj[‘init’] = 1 # this I dont know what does
  • Set the init property so the above test is true only once and the below indented code is run only once
    obj.color = [1, 1, 1, 1] # here you give the values to the object colors
    color = obj.color # here you make the variable color = obj.color
    color[3] -= (2.0 / logic.getLogicTicRate()) # Fade out over two seconds#here you take the third value of the variable(the last one) and tells python tha if that value is lower than 2.0[i think that this is the value to make it take about 2 seconds] divided by logic.getLogicTicRate that maybe is an internal function of blender to countdown the delay
    obj.color = color# this one I didnt understand
  • assign color back to the object color so that’s actually some change on the screen