help with managing level/scene data

I have been looking around for a good tutorial on managing maps, sounds, enemy placements etc. for different levels in a game. I assume you would use scenes, but i feel there is more to this then that, what with file management and all that. If somebody could point me toward some tutorials for managing levels in games i would be very grateful.

It seriously depends on the way you want to do it.

A lot of people use different scenes to manage levels. Some people use different .blends altogether (Yo! Frankie is an example of that).
I personally use a method that I’ll probably get flak for, and that’s to have each level layout/object be attached to an object that corresponds to its level (so, level_terrain and level_candlesticks, etc. are children of level_empty), and when a new level loads I just endObject the current one and add in the new one.

@MichelleSea

That’s a good idea, I’ll have to try it. Sometimes I have so many empties on a scene, it gets confusing.

This only way I really know how to do it.
I mostly use layers instead of scenes to spawn levels. I use scenes for HUD etc. Never levels.
Often I go from Blend file to Blend file, for levels, because I mostly make games for low end gaming PCs.
This keeps it small and neat. I keep everything in one folder. Problem with that is someone has to have Blender installed to play it from the folder. Not a problem for me, because I don’t plan on packaging it. Not an option for everyone.
I link a blend file that keeps scores, pickups, etc to every blend file (level) that way you can keep scores, pickups. whatever as you move from one blend to the other.

LibLoad, Libnew, Libfree, hopefully will change that.

@The old guyYou can move from blend to blend using the start game from file actuator.

@pynder
It depend how big you game is. For simple projects, different scenes is adequate. For small games, single blends per level is adequate. For anything medium-large, you need multiple blends per level.
My current games levels are split into multiple-use-parts, such as lights, doors, props, textures (used in multiple levels), the level geometry, and then a kind-of overall ‘wrapper’ that handles loading the game.

The old guyYou can move from blend to blend using the start game from file actuator.

Right, that’s how I did it in the past. I was able to make games with many levels that would run on a crappy PC. What I meant was, I’m hoping to learn how to make a game with many levels using LibLoad, LibFree, LibNew, But I’m not there yet. :slight_smile: