Help with merging 2 different objects

Hi guys,
Recently I returned to Blender and I tried to make an axe. I made it in 2 different parts. A blade part and a staff part. So now my question is how can I make them into one object. I suppose there are more then 1 way to do this but I only need one. Here are pictures

Also on the side note does it matter later in procedure if I have one face with a lot of vortexes.
Pic related

Ctrl+J joins selected objects

If there is a particular reason you need the objects to be one continuous mesh look at the boolean modifier

Also on the side note does it matter later in procedure if I have one face with a lot of vortexes.
If you render the object it will get triangulated for the render. You are relying on a potential crap computer algorithm to split it into triangles which can lean to render artifacts.
If you export your object to another application, that application may only allow triangles and quads.
If the ngon is planar you may get away with it, if it’s not planar then you may get poor visual results

Select both and click Ctrl + J.
One whing I haven’t found out though, is if the two objects have different textures, when they are merged the textures will mix and glitch, so beware.

Is there some automatic way to see if I made some other face with more then 4 vortex or do I need to manual check them all ?