Help with Mitsubishi Eclipse model

I got some nice profile pictures of a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and it’s in the background of blender for reference…my problem is, where do I go from here? Does anyone have any good car modelling tutorials? :expressionless:
(I know this is supposed to be in the other forum, but when i learn I will post the pics here.)

Look for speedtiti’s peugeot thread, he posted a link to his tutorial, and that’s the best I have seen, yet.

Thanks a lot. :smiley:
as soon as i have anything significant done, I’ll post it

the tutorial isnt descriptive enough! I dont get what he’s saying.

"-Select all the above vertices from the lower part of the car and extrude 2 times on the Y axis up to the center. Put the cursor on one of the last vertices and press [Shift+S]. We are going to make a symetry by selecting all vertices with the A key, duplicating them with [Shift+D], press M key and choose “Local Z”. After that, press twice the A key in order to select everything, W key and choose “remove double” and last [Ctrl+N] if you see some faces improperly oriented. "

I dont get this. Not a bit.

if you don’t get that then you probably don’t know enough about blender to model a car yet… you should probably go through some of the beginner tutorials and learn what each modelling tool does and such. but if you’ve already done this then show us what you have so far and we’ll help you as best we can. :slight_smile:

its not so much I dont know the basics as it is he worded it a bit weird. hm

I did notice that… there are a lot of people here that aren’t so good with english, or even their sentence structures. Basically what he was saying in the part that you quoted (from what I understand anyways) was that he had modelled half of his object and was duplicating that half and then mirroring it (flipping it around) so that he could use that as the other side of his model. The problem with doing this comes when you put the two halves together you have a lot of the same vertices, so you “remove doubles” meaning remove the extra vertices at the seam of your joined halves.

Edit: I’m not sure what the SHIFT+S does though…lol…I’ll have to try it real quick. ok… I consulted the magical “hotkeyboard” from http://www.csnmedia.nl/software_2.htm and shift+s is “snap to”. it snaps the vertice that youve selected to a grid unit.

I’ve been using “ALT-D” to make a linked duplicate of the half of the model I’m working on. (I mirror the duplicate along whatever axis applies by scaling it -1 in that direction… don’t hold me to it, but I think the key sequence is: ALT-D [linked duplicate], S [scale], Z [or X, or Y - the direction, or axis], N [allows the amount to be keyed in], then -1 [keying in the amount to scale])

As long as your object center lies along the desired axis of mirror, then this creates a linked duplicate of your model that meets along the “seam”. Because they’re linked, any editing that you do (in edit mode) to one half automatically happens to the other half, so you can see your work in real time. Remember, tho that when subsurfing it will look odd along the seam until the two halves are joined. To join them (when you’re close to finished) select both and use CTRL-J, enter edit mode and do the remove doubles and recalculate normals that the tute describes.

I’ve found that I’ll do this several times while tweaking a centerline symetrical model. If I come across something I need to alter or add after joining halves, I’ll delete the vertices of one half of my model, do the linked duplicate thing, make the edits and re-join them again. Its not that big a thing to do, but it would be nice if there was an automatic script for this…