Help with new hardware upgrades

Hi,

Looking to upgrade my antiquated system and hoping I can leverage some of the experience and expertise here.
I use Blender, naturally, along with a little Autocad and other 3D software for 3D printing. I do some single architectural renders but no animation atm.
I can just about cope and work around most things atm but would obviously like to improve things

The hope is to build a really solid foundation that gives the most bang for the buck currently whilst giving the potential to upgrade further down the line.
I would like to reuse and utilse as much of the existing stuff I have for the time being so I can put all my budget which is around £500/$660 into the foundations and then upgrade the remainder over time (Probably the next 6-12 months)

(In know the Motherboard, CPU and RAM will have to be new but will list them for the sake of completeness)
My current system is

Epox 9npa
Corsair 2GB DDR
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.21ghz
OCZ Agility 2 Sata3 60GB (Which has now run out of space)
Asus GT740 2GB DDR3
250GB HDD (Which has a decent amount of storage left on it)
Seasonic S12 600W ATX 12v V2.0
Coolermaster Wavemaster case

Can I get away with just a new Board, CPU and RAM for now?
And if so what would you suggest getting?

Cheers!
Pootle

Something for you to consider is that, some large distribution company ordered many thousands too many nvidia gaming cards recently and basically has a lot of stock that they don’t want or can’t sell, on top of that cryptocurrency like ethereum have been on a constant decline since christmas causing a huge slump in demand for gaming cards/gpus, or causing them to put their used gpus onto the market… So be patient I think something like the GTX1070 which i currently use, could see some major price drops especially in the 2nd hand market. GPU will be very important for Blender 2.80.
Personally i think a PC that old is not worth upgrading… Personally i would consider reuse of the case, possibly the power supply and sure i would pull out the HDDs and put them in my new PC.

:scream_cat: socket-939 nforce4 :scream_cat:

Boy do you take the last from your hardware…
Cool system for it’s time though. :smiley:

You are going to hate the experience of building in that case though and it doesn’t offer much airflow either. I bet even choosing from amongst the cheapest modern cases we could find something better.

I take it based on the budget listed in £ first that you are based in UK?

Here is a starting build where I expect you to reuse the PSU(Its a good one, so long as it’s not 15 years old anyways), the SSD & the HDD, note the Ryzen processor has integrated graphics(denoted by the letter “G” stuck to the end of model number) that should be better than your gt740:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £77.99 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £43.93 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard £127.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory *ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £140.78 @ Amazon UK
Case Cooler Master - N300 ATX Mid Tower Case £37.97 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £428.66
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-02 05:10 BST+0100

The AIO water cooler isn’t likely necessary for the Ryzen 3 part, but might as well get it now while it’s available - it would fit well with a 6 or 8 core CPU. :wink:

And here is another parts list of what I’d upgrade to:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor £275.99 @ Aria PC
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £89.50 @ Amazon UK
Storage Hitachi - Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £120.85 @ Senetic
Storage Hitachi - Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £120.85 @ Senetic
Video Card *Palit - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GameRock Video Card £342.98 @ Ebuyer
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £950.17
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-02 05:32 BST+0100

The Hitachi Deskstar NAS drives would go in RAID 1 - not RAID 0. For redundancy. It’s not proper backup but it’s a start. Ideally there would be a proper backup somewhere off-site updated weekly and instead of RAID 1 there’d be 4 drives constituting RAID 10.

I’ll leave it up to you to find some extra case fans since I don’t know if you already have some.