Help with rendering!

Hello everyone, I’ve recently started learning Blender. I’ve had some experience with CAD, but I am now starting to render and learning about it. I’m a freelancer and would like to do product renderings and animation.

I would love for you guys to help me figure out why my renders are so flat.
If there is any tutorial you can recommend for making this better, I would really appreciate it.

hey @anacbl ! I have first a few questions before the answers : :sweat_smile:

Are you rendering with cycles or Eevee ?
Are you trying to go the closest as possible of realism, or you prefer an another style or just simply do not care about that ?
What do you mean by flat ? what do you want more elaborate, lighting ? modeling ? shaders and textures ?

sorry for all this questions so suddenly :sweat:

Hey @Kazrarr ! No problem, glad to answer the questions. Currently I am using Eevee. I am trying to render products as realistic as possible. The textures/materials need some work, in my opinion. I would like to give a bit more textile texture to the collar, since it it made out of cork textile. Light could also be improved.

In terms of what I would like to achieve, this would be a good example: Meze 99 Classics Headphones | Industrial Design

What kind of background is that? A plane? Looks odd since there is no contact shadow.

The lighting makes the object flat. Have you tried a 3 point light setup?

Also for a nice seamless background you can have a look here:

I have not checked the quality of the video but it should show you the basics.

For product lighting you usally go for a clean and bright look that you can see in the example in the link. To achieve that you can search for product light photography and then recreate the setup in blender. If thats a problem you can first watch basic lighting tutorials in blender to get used to the lights.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer! Yes, the background is a simple plane and I did not try the 3 point light setup. Will definitely be watching the tutorial! Thank you for recommending it.

Great, will be looking into some photography setups! :innocent:

Hi, here are some other render tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYq32SYrEY

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Okay, first, for this kind of scene, I would use the Cycles engine (it’s better for certains materials and textures).
For the textile texture, I think you’re pretty good, the only thing is that you’ve used an image texture (which is good for some point) but we can see the repetition in the inside of the collar with the line :
92920b1f9cd4559d7551f5ffefa07ceda000fe51_2_690x388
and as say @3DArtGuy, maybe a background with the object touching the ground, with nice shadow could be better, and there’s a great add-on already in Blender called 3 lighting, which is great for lighting objects for by exemple presentation product, market, exposition…

forgot ot mention that Blender Guru have made two great videos about realism and photo realism, (in my case, I wish I’ve discovered that sooner :sweat_smile:)

and thks @digitvisions for your reply

1 Like

Wow! Thank you everyone for your really helpful replies! I will be watching all the tutorials and I have to say, just adding the 3 point lights as @3DArtGuy suggested, already made a big difference! Also changing the render to Cycles, like @Kazrarr said! I’m so grateful for this community!

1 Like

One thing I would do is make the background plane white. At the moment, the contrast between object and background isn’t doing any favours.

Another thing to consider is that reflective objects are never 100% reflective. Change your roughness value a little on the buckle and clip, so that they show on camera a little better.

Also, the black piece is too black. Nothing is completely black, and at the moment, its not receiving or reflecting any light. Make it a tad less black, and also adjust it’s roughness value.

I’d also bump the light strengths up some more, as currently the lighting still looks flat.

Finally, look into PBR shading, which will help you more with the materials.

2 Likes

thank you @Magnavis ! I just changed the background to a light grey after I made the last rendering. :grin: I noticed the same on the metal parts and will be changing that for sure.

Will look into the PBR shading then! I had just added the lights, but will make sure to so some changes in them too!

Really appreciate your feedback! :+1:

The shiny metal parts look quite flat since they are not reflecting anything from the environment. Even if you render against a simple grey backdrop, photo studio style, and with a three point lighting setup, there is still a 360 degree environment around the object that will inevitably interact with the shiny metal surfaces.

I would add a HDRI environment lighting, that will create more natural and interesting reflections in the metal parts.
The three point lighting can still be the main light source, but the HDRI lighting will add that final touch of realism that you need for the metal parts.

2 Likes

Here’s a page from Blender Guru. It lists a (free) ‘4-week program’ that takes you through various aspects of creating 3D images. It touches on several of the things you mention.

Here’s the Youtube video where he explains the program.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve done lots of product photography over decades and always against white (which it never is unless you overexpose) or light grey. The reason is that having an acromatic grey helps the richness of the colours while allowing bright spots and highlights to ‘pop’ from the background.

I haven’t fully read this thread but check out anywhere for ‘three point lighting setup’. That video on ‘The Secret Element in Photorealism’ is essential viewing!

Also do a Google search for ‘Studio HDRI’ as I’ve rendered elements and put them into real photoshoots where physical things wheren’t available and none ever noticed!

Lastly, the light transport model in Blender is just soooo good, its real world skills you need - just like having a 4 trillion gigapixel camera doesn’t give you a set, a story, vintage lenses, actors, so you just need to go explore the wonderful world of photography a bit - its fun and you never stop learning! :o)

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I’ve also applied a HDRI environment as you said! :+1:

Yes, I did the donut tutorial, but modeling and rendering by yourself, is quite different! Will do some more of his tutorials for sure! Thanks for the great tips!