So earlier while I was playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as Diddy Kong, I realized that Diddy had a very similar style of eyes as my own character model. Upon this realization, I searched online for 3D models of Diddy Kong to see if I could potentially use any of them as references for how I could get my model’s eyes working properly. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any rigged models and as a result I could not gain any new insight into how to make the eye rig work. This might seem like a rather pointless story to bring up, but at this point, I’m just grasping at straws in the vain hope that perhaps this might point anyone willing to lend a hand in the right direction into how this mess can sorted out.
Random side note
: I noticed that the pupil of Diddy’s model in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze isn’t actually attached to the rest of the eye. I have no idea if this particular observation has any value or not, I just thought I should mention it, although it probably doesn’t .
I also tried redesigning the pupil into a more efficient shape, with the hope that changing the geometry might help reduce the amount of distortion occurring with the mesh. But alas, no such luck, the pupil would continue to distort as the bone controlling the eye(s) was moved around. Much like before, the amount of distortion in the mesh seems to be affected by how far away the eye-controller is from the pupil.
I thought about replacing the pupil mesh with a image texture much like the eyelid(s), but I fear that it won’t much of a difference. My fear is that the mesh for the image texture would be pretty much guaranteed to buckle as it was moved around, and would very likely end up distorting the image texture in the process.
Honestly, I hate the Shrinkwrap modifier more than anything else I’ve dealt with so far. In the past, with my numerous attempts at fixing the endless problems I would inevitability come across, in time I would eventually gain a deeper understanding of the logic behind whatever aspect of Blender I was currently working with. That new understanding of that logic would then allow me to work within it to accomplish my goal. However, with the Shrinkwrap modifier, after spending hours and hours trying to figure it out, I feel like I’ve gained zero new insight into how it works, and by extension, I have no idea how to fix the issues that come up when I try to use it.
I just don’t know what to do now , especially since unlike past problems I’ve dealt with, there doesn’t seem to be any other alternative available that I could fall back upon. If I can’t figure out how to properly rig the eyes then I am simply screwed .