Help with simple deform modifier

Hello once again, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem I’m having with the simple deform modifier. You see I’m trying to curve the model in the first screenshot below in a similar manner to the one in the screenshot below the first one in order to make a belt buckle to attach to the belt.

I tried looking at a few tutorials like this one for help [Link] but when I added the modifier to the model it ended up looking like this:

Why isn’t it working properly and what can I do to fix this issue?

I’m all ears for anyone willing to provide any suggestions!

Blend File: belt_help.blend (552.0 KB)

Your object is wrongly orientate, you need to rotate it 90° on Z in Edit mode:

1 Like

An alternative to Simple deform modifier is making the strap and the buckle one mesh by knife projecting an oval onto a cylinder subdivided with CTRL+R, separating it with P , extruding and solidifying and voila!

Simple deform > Bend modifier requires subdivisions to work as expected, which is not always easy owing to the model’s shape and that means it’s best to use it with rectangles/squares. Hence, you’d have to use Remesh on your buckle before bending it. And matching the buckle and strap’s curves needs calculations (degrees, empty’s distance).

Sorry for taking so long to respond but your solution worked perfectly and now I’ve gotten the belt buckle bent into the correct way that I was looking for.

Thank you for the help!